• Wonder if any of these wagons are Studebakers

Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

I see several other manufacturers' tags, but no Studebakers. Can someone tell us if there are distinguishing marks to look for?
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

The auctioneers are well known in the carriage and buggy world.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
        I see several other manufacturers' tags, but no Studebakers. Can someone tell us if there are distinguishing marks to look for?
        Many time the axle ends are marked, you need to remove a wheel to see. It is imperfect as Studebaker sold axles to other manufacturers. On wagons the design of the hubs and spokes is a clue.

Comment

IF I recall correctly, Studebaker wagons and carriages had a distinctive wheel construction design.
          The spokes were notched into the wheel.
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

The Studebaker spoke design is not a good test anymore either. They didn't patent the wheels and allowed other manufacturers to freely copy their design. Also, on a lot of vehicles the wheels have long since been replaced. I can see at least six vehicles that might be Studebakers. However they were all common designs. That Rockaway though is very, very similar to a genuine Studebaker I have seen in someone else's carriage house. Another place to look is on the front edge of the front seat, under the cushion. There might be a round button placed there by the distribution centre. however a high-end vehicle like that Rockaway and the drop-front (phaeton) buggy usually had grease, or hub, caps that bore the Studebaker name. As has been mentioned here, chassis iron is not a perfect place to check, however any reach-type vehicle will have Studebaker cast into the Fifth-wheel and those were only used for Studebakers. Sometimes it was also embossed on the reach(es), once again only on a Studebaker high-end vehicle.

About the button under the front seat: This was a uniquely Studebaker thing. So if you pull up a seat cushion and find a (nickle-sized) circle impressed into the front seat frame with a nail hole in the middle, chances are you have found a Studebaker.
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
            X