For those over 65 years of age.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those over 65 years of age.

Proceed to open up your new issue of AARP magazine and carefully turn to page 65........then bask in the glow :-)

I don't belong to AARP anymore. The articles on things that didn't interest me and offers for cruises and other things I couldn't afford put me off. Is there a picture of a Studebaker?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

1963 white Avanti
      Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
      I don't belong to AARP anymore. The articles on things that didn't interest me and offers for cruises and other things I couldn't afford put me off. Is there a picture of a Studebaker?

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        Never joined...like a lot of so-called beneficial advocates...they seem to me to be more about advocating for the benefit of their top tier lobby lizards than the elderly. I've found that in all cases (thus far) I've been treated to the same (age-related) "discount" courtesy extended to AARP members without having the membership.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

AARP does not have anyone's best interest in mind except their own. Lamar

Comment

Once you give into the dark side and admit you're old......things go down hill fast from there.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

An AARP membership provides a monthly magazine. In my opinion the quality of the magazine has improved considerably and has some good articles. It provides a spin on many issues regarding senior citizens and I don't think it exhibits a political bias to extent it did in the past. It was a source for auto and domicile insurance policies that are competitive. I do not know if Alice Cooper belongs!
              "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

It’s funny but the AARP topic came up this morning at the Mc Donald’s daily oldies breakfast. One of the guys (94years old) brought up the fact that AARP never once mentioned our government was going to tax social security back in the 1980s or 90s. He lost respect for them then and now that I heard that, I to have lost that respect.

Comment

I've been an AARP member for 27 years. Although politically they unfortunately list heavily to the port side, membership is the requirement for the really good medicare insurance supplement. The hotel, car rental, etc discounts pay for the annual membership. The magazine burns slow enough for fireplace starter fuel and the back page always has someone older than me who's having a birthday. What's not to like?

Comment

There couldn't be anyone over 65 in this group......could there?
                    Lou Van Anne
                    62 Champ
                    64 R2 GT Hawk
                    79 Avanti II

Comment

It's 50 now. My wife turns 50 tomorrow and they are flooding her with mail. I didn't join 3 years ago when I turned AARP age.

We still have kids in school. I'm not ready to join. Maybe when I'm retired.

Honestly don't see the benefit.
                      sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Keeping the passion alive

Comment

4, 5, and 6 pretty well say how I feel about it. My brother joined to get a cheaper insurance rate.
                        Now, what does belonging to AARP have to do with car insurance rates. That alone turns me off.

Comment

I've saved more on hotel and car rental discounts than the membership costs.

Comment

Many seem to forget what the "R" in AARP stood for. It was; retired.
                            I am friends with one of the founders. He was an insurance executive and AARP was originally founded mostly on an insurance basis. Many still use it for their Medicare supplement insurance.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Boy this got off topic right away! I believe this is the issue with Alice Cooper and his Avanti.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X