1962 Hawk Window Rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 1962 Hawk Window Rattle

I have rebuilt the doors on '62 Hawk and the driver's side window rattles like crazy at the slightest bump. The window track is not like those that might have a felt insert at the run near the door latch but rather there is a set of rollers that attach to the window. I replaced the rollers with a new set but the window is not solid. The passenger side was redone and works great. How can I tighten up the driver's side to stop the rattle? or is there no way? Thanks, Chet445

Hi, there is also a felt covered metal strip in the guide/runner between the vent window a the drivers window this may have been worn bear, if it needs replacing, be careful not to install it upside down. Cheers Harryhawk

Comment

The part is called Front window liner. Hardtops & Coupes 1953-64 part No 304181. Cheers

Comment

I thought window rattle came standard on hardtops? Wind noise and leaks were also options as I recall.

They sure look cool though.

Sorry for for being a smart a$$. Looks like He others have given the advice you need to fix it.
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

The front window liner referred to are new from SDI and were a bear to put in. The rattle is from the after end of window in its channel. The after end has new rollers also and were interesting to install. Two sets... one forward on the guide and one aft on the guide...guess I am stuck with a rattle that is very annoying.

Comment

Make sure the window rollers are free to flex on their respective springs. If they are mounted solidly they will rattle, also make sure the track they roll in is securely fastened to the inner door. Make sure the 1/4 window cats whiskers are also good. Often a rear window rattle is miss diagnosed as the rear of the front window. Even new cats whiskers will rattle against the door, as they just snap into place with clips. I always put a dab of RTV on the back before snapping them in place.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have the same problem with my '61 Hawk, I know it's probably not the same cause (coupe, not h/t) but the pass. window rattles even after replacing all the fuzzies and readjusting everything. It looks like the opening in the door for the window is wider than on the pass. side is wider than the drivers side. Is that possible? The drivers side is from a '56, the pass. is '61, they are supposed to be the same. -Jim

Comment

I think I solved my window rattle problem. I cut an 1" wide 20 gauge sliver of metal 26' long and inserted it on the outboard side of the U channel and that in effect solidified the channel so the window roller could do what they were designed to do. Took a while but I believe I can go on to the next piece of the Hawk puzzle that is, back to the hood to fender alignment.

Comment

A judicious amount of Christian Brothers brandy helps a great deal when it comes to front end alignment of body panels.

Comment

Jim that was the case for me. The side had a narrow run opposed to the driver side. Using a 20 gauge piece of sheet metal 1" wide and secured at top and solved the problem...no rattles in the door hooray. I put the strip on the side of the run such that it would fit more snug at my back window. Hope this helps. Chet

Comment

Working...
                    X