This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to pack to wear in Tacoma?

What are likely to be the basic weather conditions in Tacoma / Seattle during the International Meet? Having never been to the area, my wife and I are wondering what to pack for the trip; average temperatures, etc.

Input from locals appreciated. Thanks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Layers are always good in the NW. If you have a fleece, bring it. Light weight shell or rain coat, bring it. Tacoma, being closer to the water can be somewhat cooler & cloudy in the AM, but usually it burns off to sunny skies early PM. Later in the day the wind can shift and you'll appreciate the fleece if walking outdoors. Latest forecast calls for cooler temps starting next week as in dropping from the 80's we've been dealing with to the 70's which means overnight highs 50's to low 60's. Comfortable shoes you should be all set. I live in cargo shorts year round with a fleece in my truck so I'm G2G for at least 11 months out of the year.

Comment

Careful Bob. You might like it here in the Northwest. I look forward to finally meeting you.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
        Careful Bob. You might like it here in the Northwest. I look forward to finally meeting you.
        Thanks, Eddie, but I wouldn't want to move 8 collector cars, two daily drivers, my truck, and a sizable literature collection.

Plus, it's nice living only 130-odd miles from South Bend, the center of The Studebaker Universe! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The Seattle/Tacoma area is a bit warmer than way up here, but expect 70 degree days and about 55-62 at night. Some nights feel cooler. I have lived up here long enough to see the weather as it comes in, and know what will happen but it is a bit too early to tell. From what I see right now we are OK. If you melt in the rain, you have a 50 / 50 shot of melting at least one of the four days.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
            The Seattle/Tacoma area is a bit warmer than way up here, but expect 70 degree days and about 55-62 at night. Some nights feel cooler. I have lived up here long enough to see the weather as it comes in, and know what will happen but it is a bit too early to tell. From what I see right now we are OK. If you melt in the rain, you have a 50 / 50 shot of melting at least one of the four days.
            We are really looking fwd to a break from Houston's heat & humidity!

Comment

Thanks, guys; we'll pack accordingly.

What's the smoke situation like from the forest fires? We've heard some days can be kind of unpleasant to be outside very long; true? Does it vary from Seattle to Tacoma due to wind patterns? BP

Comment

Where are you staying Bob

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                  Where are you staying Bob? Stu Chapman
                  Meet HQ. BP

Comment

We were at the BW yesterday and observed the smoke all the way south from where we started in Kirkland. The smoke was visible all the way down and appeared to be more dense up north (Renton northward). Tacoma did have some however not as noticeable. Latest weather alert says that Tuesday would be the worst for air quality, however after that everything should start to clear. We walked 6 miles yesterday and will do so again today, other than noticing the haze, my wife & I haven't felt any ill effects. It's nowhere near as bad as it was the previous week and the cooler temperatures and wind help in clearing the skies.

Comment

Must be nice. We are still having 'very unhealthy air'. and some rain this morning. I'm way up North of Tacoma. It may have pushed some smoke away, but it is still bringing some across from the peninsula. From what I can see on the radar, it looks like it will clear out and the week should be decent down there. The smoke made me sick and put me behind about 2 days but I'm getting through it by leaving a bunch of stuff home. It should be a great week!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X