Howard 8-cycle camshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Howard 8-cycle camshaft

I have a friend who raced Studebakers back in the day who says the Howard 8-cycle cam was his favorite and he'd love to find one today. Anyone have one of these on the shelf. If so, PM me.

(Yes, I know the Howard's name is back in the market on SBC parts for sale, but no, no one there today ever heard of their making cams for Studebakers back in the day.)

jack vines
    PackardV8

You might contact Donny Johanson at Contreras Cams. He's Chet Howards son and has all the masters from his dad.

Comment

I have a reground Engle racing cam, unused and still in the Engle box, that I will be bringing to Tacoma to sell.

Comment

Jack -

Per the above Donnie Johansen post -
        Donnie doesn't work that much with Contreras anymore, as of a coupla years ago. Contreras doesn't do that many cams at all any more, just an occasional Top Fuel, steel Billet cam.
        I might be able to get straight thru to him if you want. Let me know.

Mike

P.s. - With enough interest, Contreras might do more Stude cams (steel billet), with Donnie doing the finish grind, just like last time.
        Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 08-22-2018, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          I have a friend who raced Studebakers back in the day who says the Howard 8-cycle cam was his favorite and he'd love to find one today. Anyone have one of these on the shelf. If so, PM me.

(Yes, I know the Howard's name is back in the market on SBC parts for sale, but no, no one there today ever heard of their making cams for Studebakers back in the day.)

jack vines
          I did my due diligence and looked up 8 Cycle cam but found nothing. Years ago I remember a dual lobe cam. Is that what the 8 cycle cam is? Can you explain please. I really am curious.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
            I did my due diligence and looked up 8 Cycle cam but found nothing. Years ago I remember a dual lobe cam. Is that what the 8 cycle cam is? Can you explain please. I really am curious.
            You're thinking of the Schaller double lobe quarter speed cam.

The Howards 8-cycle was just to top Iskenderian's 5-cycle marketing hype.

Over the years, there have been some creative cam names: Super LeGerrra, Polydyne, Ultradyne, Eliminator, Voodoo, Big Mutha Thumpr, Killshot, Black Widow, Mile-a-mor, UltraRev, Bootlegger, DualDuration; SuperCheater, Fireball, SuperShaft, PurpleShaft, RevMaster, just to name a few.

jack vines
            Last edited by PackardV8; 08-22-2018, 03:16 PM.
            PackardV8

Comment

Over the years, there have been some creative cam names: Super LeGerrra, Polydyne, Ultradyne, Eliminator, Voodoo, Big Mutha Thumpr, Killshot, Black Widow, Mile-a-mor, UltraRev, Bootlegger, DualDuration; SuperCheater, Fireball, SuperShaft, PurpleShaft, RevMaster, just to name a few.

jack vines
              Thank you. I'm chuckling to myself because many of those names sound like titles to "B" Movies from the 50's/60's/70's.
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

"The Howards 8-cycle was just to top Iskenderian's 5-cycle marketing hype."

Jack: Soon as I read the initial post about an 8 cycle cam, all I could think of was the huge hype Isky made about the "newly discovered" fifth cycle. Do I remember correctly? Seems like they referred to it as a "cooling cycle". Never heard of an 8 cycle cam for any make. Did Howard's market them for all cars, or just Studebakers?

Comment

I tried to post the picture, no luck posting pictures on this site..!?!?!
                  See the page below.

See post 56945, about half way down the page.
                  Note the wording on the back of the Howards Cam, Twin Bears dragster body.

Mike

Comment

Sure enough; there it is.

Try this:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Just found a book: "Ed Idskenderian and the History of Hot Rodding"

Ed says it was all hype and they were referring to the overlap as the fifth cycle. Of course the advertising hype didn't come across that clearly.

Comment

"Of course the advertising hype didn't come across that clearly." And, nothing's changed since.

Comment

The best 5th cycle ad ever was the one with the clown riding a bike on the 5th cycle

Comment

Over the years, there have been some creative cam names: Super LeGerrra, Polydyne, Ultradyne, Eliminator, Voodoo, Big Mutha Thumpr, Killshot, Black Widow, Mile-a-mor, UltraRev, Bootlegger, DualDuration; SuperCheater, Fireball, SuperShaft, PurpleShaft, RevMaster, just to name a few.jack vines
                            I can add one to that list Jack, mine is a Dempsey Wilson Cam of Hawthorne, Calif. as far as I know not related to the Wilson Family of Hawthorne that was the Beach Boys.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                            X