Now THIS is cute!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now THIS is cute!

The seller says, "There are many custom hot rods out there, but none like this!" Boy, that's an understatement:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Wow wow wow-wow,wow!
    Now, THAT'S a ROD !
    (and, I didn't see a battery, much less a hold-down)

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
    47 M-5
    Izzer Buggy
    Junior Wagon
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Wow wow wow-wow,wow!
      Now, THAT'S a ROD !
      (and, I didn't see a battery, much less a hold-down)

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
      47 M-5
      Izzer Buggy
      Junior Wagon
      Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
      61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
      Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
      Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

$250,000 to build?
        While it looks nice on the outside, underneath looks like standard street rod faire, and not particularly high end at that.
        Even at list price for every part, It would take a whole bunch of coachbuilding to run a tab up that high.
        But for a reasonable price, it would be a hoot to cruise in.
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

The seller says, "There are many custom hot rods out there, but none like this!" Boy, that's an understatement:

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

$250,000 to build?
          While it looks nice on the outside, underneath looks like standard street rod faire, and not particularly high end at that.
          Even at list price for every part, It would take a whole bunch of coachbuilding to run a tab up that high.
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

$250,000 to build?
            Jeff[8D]

[quote]

Well, Jeff; you know more about the actual cost of "rod" projects than most of us here, myself included. But isn't the wild card on this project (or any other, for that matter) how much the owner paid in labor charges? Couldn't he easily get up to a quarter-mil total if he had been soaked pretty good for labor? [V] BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

$250,000 to build?
              Jeff[8D]

[quote]

Well, Jeff; you know more about the actual cost of "rod" projects than most of us here, myself included. But isn't the wild card on this project (or any other, for that matter) how much the owner paid in labor charges? Couldn't he easily get up to a quarter-mil total if he had been soaked pretty good for labor? [V] BP

Comment

Seems odd to me, Packard would build a car with an integral trunk and equip it with an accessory trunk. In either event it's a design flaw.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Seems odd to me, Packard would build a car with an integral trunk and equip it with an accessory trunk. In either event it's a design flaw.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Kind of looks to me like the built-in trunk has a two-piece lid, with a lift gate and a tail gate, and it's made so the accessory trunk can be carried on the lowered tailgate. Maybe for carrying stuff on long road trips. The trunks on those sedans were quite small, sometimes.

I do think the car would look better with accessory trunk removed.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Kind of looks to me like the built-in trunk has a two-piece lid, with a lift gate and a tail gate, and it's made so the accessory trunk can be carried on the lowered tailgate. Maybe for carrying stuff on long road trips. The trunks on those sedans were quite small, sometimes.

I do think the car would look better with accessory trunk removed.

Comment

I just can't see eBay as being the right venue for this car.

It is actually easier to get to $250k in a shop built custom rod than you might think, including what was paid for the original car. I've seen enough $100-$150k '57 Chevies that were nice - but they have the advantage of a huge aftermarket specific to the tri-5 Chevy. If that body was rough to begin with the panel beater and fabricator bill would be astonishing all on its own.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                        Packrat junk collector
                        '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

I just can't see eBay as being the right venue for this car.

It is actually easier to get to $250k in a shop built custom rod than you might think, including what was paid for the original car. I've seen enough $100-$150k '57 Chevies that were nice - but they have the advantage of a huge aftermarket specific to the tri-5 Chevy. If that body was rough to begin with the panel beater and fabricator bill would be astonishing all on its own.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                          Packrat junk collector
                          '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

As I've heard it said before..."pistine"!

Mark Anderson
                            Member SDC and FMCA
                            Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
                            Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

As I've heard it said before..."pistine"!

Mark Anderson
                              Member SDC and FMCA
                              Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
                              Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

Working...
                              X