1962 Hawk 289 with 4-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Hawk 289 with 4-speed

I bought this car thinking it was a real good find. Wrong! It needed to be taken apart instead of just fixing things but I chose to fix things.There are still a few hurdles to get over but it is coming along right nicely. The reason...I chose to fill it with loving kindness even to the point of polishing the paint. What a difference that has made. Do you suppose change of mind has helped also? Something to think about when the going gets tough. Chet445

What a tease you are. Where's the pictures? How can we believe the car even exists without pictures?
    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
      What a tease you are. Where's the pictures? How can we believe the car even exists without pictures?
      Yeah. What Sals54 said.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Well, even without photos, you've confirmed what many here have suggested. Keep driving it and keep fixing things. More good cars have perished because they really "needed to be taken apart". Disassembly is easy to say and do; it's the putting back together correctly which is beyond the budget and ability and enthusiasm of some.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

If I could find the icons I would post pictures.

Comment

We're just kiddin ya chet. Post em when ya get em.
            sals54

Comment

I may have figured out how to post a picture or two. If car parts show up just ignore.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3339.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1721831Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3340.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1721832

Comment

Wow. That's beautiful. Of all the GT's the 62 is my favorite.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  Well, even without photos, you've confirmed what many here have suggested. Keep driving it and keep fixing things. More good cars have perished because they really "needed to be taken apart". Disassembly is easy to say and do; it's the putting back together correctly which is beyond the budget and ability and enthusiasm of some.

jack vines

Jack is correct: I've got one of the remaining 58 Transtar V8 Auto trucks that after starting an Off Frame (media blasting EVERYTHING), and getting the cab and front fenders and engine back on, may perish as NO Body Shop will touch it without an OPEN WALLET! (END OF RANT)

Comment

I love it. Very nice. And I love the look of the Golden Hawk hood on it. Fabulous.
                    sals54

Comment

Need to add one more complaint. I have rebuilt the front suspension and new shocks on the rear. The vehicle is an absolutely rough riding vehicle; do you suppose it might be the new tires. Rough riding takes away the pleasure of driving. I probably have 100 miles on it at best.

Comment

I've owned my 1962 Hawk since 1975 and I have no complaints with the way it rides. I've rebuilt the suspension all the way around and used heavier duty springs and while the suspension stiffened up a bit, it is still a nice riding vehicle. Any GT Hawk that I've owned over the years and any that I've ridden in have had a fairly smooth ride. There is a possibility that there is an issue with the tires, but I don't know. Bud

Comment

I love that color. You certainly did polish it up.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by chet445 View Post
                            Need to add one more complaint. I have rebuilt the front suspension and new shocks on the rear. The vehicle is an absolutely rough riding vehicle; do you suppose it might be the new tires. Rough riding takes away the pleasure of driving. I probably have 100 miles on it at best.
                            Sounds like it would be wise to have another Hawk owner ride in your car to make a comparison. I have several Hawks and find the ride to be quite nice.
                            1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                            1951 Champion Business Coupe
                            1951 Commander Starlight
                            1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                            1953 Champion Starlight
                            1953 Commander Starliner
                            1953 2R5
                            1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                            1957 Silver Hawk
                            1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                            1959 Silver Hawk
                            1961 Hawk
                            1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                            1963 Daytona Convertible
                            1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                            1965 Cruiser
                            1970 Avanti

Comment

You say you rebuilt the front end and replaced rear shocks. GT's are very sensitive to weak springs front and rear. They aren't hard to replace up front or install an overload leaf in back. If you have already done this you may have tire/alignment issues. Drop your pressures to about 26psi and see if there is a difference. My Avanti was a total bear when I got it, fighting me all the way, but after giving it all new/rebuilt springs and shocks and setting up the alignment properly for performance radials (which means not to factory spec) it drives like it is on rails. The tightest steering Stude I have owned, and I have had maybe up to 30 registered through the years. Poor ride and handling is not fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X