Sigh..... New Smart Phone Smarter Than My Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigh..... New Smart Phone Smarter Than My Studebaker

Am in the midst of getting dragged kicking and screaming into the next century.
    Sure, the bells and whistles are cool .
    But the changeover is a total pita.
    There is so much old school crap I need (and use) in the old smartass phone that did not copy/port/change over with the "easy" changeover software.
    My eyes and fingers ache. But the phone is way cool
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

You'll have to pry my cold dead fingers from my DUMB phone! Even my POS '92 Toyota beater is too new as it contains a "check engine" light along with a computer...

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
      Am in the midst of getting dragged kicking and screaming into the next century.
      Sure, the bells and whistles are cool .
      But the changeover is a total pita.
      There is so much old school crap I need (and use) in the old smartass phone that did not copy/port/change over with the "easy" changeover software.
      My eyes and fingers ache. But the phone is way cool
      I'm not sure if you are Android or Iphone but in either case they will automatically up load and backup to the "cloud". That will eliminate the loss of data in the future. If you need to wipe your phone or buy a new one the cloud will bring it back like you had it.

I'm familiar with Android and my Pixel 2XL has become my camera, computer in the pole barn and communication link with rest of the family. What I really like is the camera immediately uploads to the cloud so if I have a picture I just took and want to post on the net, I just download it to my computer and then post it. I could probably do it on my phone but I try not to do email from it. Oldguy habit.

Welcome to the dark side. A lot more benefits than downside in my muddled mind.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
        I'm not sure if you are Android or Iphone but in either case they will automatically up load and backup to the "cloud". That will eliminate the loss of data in the future. If you need to wipe your phone or buy a new one the cloud will bring it back like you had it.

I'm familiar with Android and my Pixel 2XL has become my camera, computer in the pole barn and communication link with rest of the family. What I really like is the camera immediately uploads to the cloud so if I have a picture I just took and want to post on the net, I just download it to my computer and then post it. I could probably do it on my phone but I try not to do email from it. Oldguy habit.

Welcome to the dark side. A lot more benefits than downside in my muddled mind.

Bob
        Huh? All this is over my head. I am having trouble with files from one computer that has older versions of Windows and Word and a recent version of both in a newer computer not working with each other. I am perfectly satisfied with the older versions and find the new ones much more difficult to use. Makes no sense to me why changes are made to things that work just fine. If it is because I am getting old that is right I am getting old.....
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
          Huh? All this is over my head. I am having trouble with files from one computer that has older versions of Windows and Word and a recent version of both in a newer computer not working with each other. I am perfectly satisfied with the older versions and find the new ones much more difficult to use. Makes no sense to me why changes are made to things that work just fine. If it is because I am getting old that is right I am getting old.....
          Joe

Old is gone with the new smartphones. What I said can be condensed simply by saying, all the data that one puts on a smartphone, ( pix, apps, files, phone lists, everything ) is immediately uploaded to large server farms ( data storage or cloud ) maintained by either Google or Apple. That data updates when you change it on the phone and it stays in the "cloud". If you lose the phone, clean the memory or buy a new phone the data that is stored on the servers is downloaded to your phone and you are back in business.

As long as you stay with the operating system of your phone Google (Android) or Apple (iOS) the data will be there and work.

I'm 75 and it's not that difficult. What is difficult is being responsible for all the data you have from the past and you are the only one that knows where it is or can find it. Thing of the past now.

Bob

Comment

I love my smart phone. Need a part? Order it from your phone. Need a pizza? Pick up your phone. Can’t remember how something goes together? Google it or watch a you tube video. Want to keep in touch with your 20 something kiddos? Send them a snap chat. I wouldn’t be without mine.
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
              I love my smart phone. Need a part? Order it from your phone. Need a pizza? Pick up your phone. Can’t remember how something goes together? Google it or watch a you tube video. Want to keep in touch with your 20 something kiddos? Send them a snap chat. I wouldn’t be without mine.
              For years, I thought Jeff had been opening and closing his garage door with his smartphone with the Liftmaster app!! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ners&styleid=1

Craig

Comment

I used the GPS on my phone to route me on a 40 mile trip home from a car show today. Took the M5 on a wiggly route through rural Minnesota that I'd never had figured out on my own.

Comment

Problem with smart phones, is most require expensive data plans to use all the features. It's no bargain having all the technology at your fingertips if you have to pay $700 + for the phone, and at least $100 for service every month. That's $1200 a year just to upload pics of what you ate for dinner, and kittens to facebook. I'll just have to sit back and let others have that "fun"
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    Problem with smart phones, is most require expensive data plans to use all the features. It's no bargain having all the technology at your fingertips if you have to pay $700 + for the phone, and at least $100 for service every month. That's $1200 a year just to upload pics of what you ate for dinner, and kittens to facebook. I'll just have to sit back and let others have that "fun"
                    I can't argue with the price issue but Judy and I share a 3 G a month plan and we've not exceeded the limit in the 9 months we've had it. Her phone was free if we stayed 3 months and we did. Mine wasn't - I paid about $700 for it though. We just don't use it to watch videos for hours on end so the total cost through Verzion for both of us is $80/mo. That's double the cost of the old Tracfone/Net10 plan we had for phone and text but for $40/mo she has a phone that woks through the bluetooth on her new Corolla so she can call any number by just saying "call whoever" and is robust enough for her to use anywhere else.

For me, it gives me all the things I want to reference when I'm out and about. Prices, part numbers, install videos and maps for example. The only downside of them is all my coffee buddies carry them also and it's getting harder and harder to BS them as can fact check with Google in seconds.

Lastly, the kids and grand kids generally don't answer calls as they can be busy or at work. They do keep an eye on texts however and if something important comes up, they will answer almost immediately.

The next issue is avoiding the damn watch that interacts with the phone so you don't need to take the phone out of the case. It displays texts, phone calls and a bunch of data that I just can't live without anymore. I haven't found a need for the watch that needs it's own data plan however.

Hi, my name's Bob and I just can't quit accumulating high tech sh#t.

Bob

Comment

My comment was about the learning curve to update my equipment and my brain to use the new equipment.
                      I see it has swung to the financial end of the spectrum.
                      CASO's to the bone... Too funny...
                      (I still have some 1930's Western Electric rotary phones...that work)
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm still using my Nokia with buttons that I bought second hand 12 years ago, Sonja just went for a "smart" phone cuz she got a good(?) deal on it, but it has to be charged every day while mine stays charged for at least 3-7 days depending on how much it's being used.
                        & I wonder what'll happen the day when all (steel / iron) magnetism all over the world will fail... Or maby I'm wrong & it never will!
                        But I find the thought quite interesting...

Comment

Europe trip with NEW Apple 8 +

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                          I'm still using my Nokia with buttons that I bought second hand 12 years ago, Sonja just went for a "smart" phone cuz she got a good(?) deal on it, but it has to be charged every day while mine stays charged for at least 3-7 days depending on how much it's being used.
                          & I wonder what'll happen the day when all (steel / iron) magnetism all over the world will fail... Or maby I'm wrong & it never will!
                          But I find the thought quite interesting...
                          Wow do I agree with you! This April wife & I did the Viking river cruse (France-Germany-Switzerland).....she HAD to have a NEW phone so we could have service with USA / Europe. I have a LG flip phone and use it for only phone calls, no voice mail, Face Book, Tweets, etc. Her phone was too new and she had service in only ONE small café in Germany....what a hoot! By the way, on the cog rail ride up to the Three Sisters in the alps she thought they would be BIGGER! Too funny. We live on the Great Lakes coast with 1000 foot long bulk haul boat shipping, everything here is flat land thus the alps size expectations I guess. We had a GREAT time in Europe. Wish I could have found some Studebaker folks on the trip but with her phone not working that idea went down the drain! Regards, Sherm / Green Bay WI

Comment

Well firestoper, when the Swedish Studebaker club has its yearly meeting there's always Studebakers from England, Germany, Holland, France, Schweiz & so on coming, so there are clubs in Europe, all you have to do is google & preferably beforehand if there's only a "smart" phone to rely on...

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                              Well firestoper, when the Swedish Studebaker club has its yearly meeting there's always Studebakers from England, Germany, Holland, France, Schweiz & so on coming, so there are clubs in Europe, all you have to do is google & preferably beforehand if there's only a "smart" phone to rely on...
                              Most hotels have a 'Business Room' for guests with a computer that has internet access if one doesn't own a smartphone.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X