Fenders and deck lid exchange 1950-1951 Coupe and 4 door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Fenders and deck lid exchange 1950-1951 Coupe and 4 door

Hello I am new to studebakers, I have a 1951 Champion Starlight coupe missing a deck lid and the right front fender. Can I use the deck lid and fender from a 4 door car? I have a chance to get a 1951 2 door business coupe and all the parts are there. Which car ( The starlite or the business Coupe)will be worth the most in 10 years?

Welcome to the SDC Forum and the wonderful world of Studebakers.
    I am not expert in these models, so someone else will correct me if I am incorrect.
    The sedan trunk will not fit the coupe. The front fender will.
    IMO, all other things being equal, the Starlight will be worth more than the three passenger coupe (business).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree with Gary, but also think the Business Coupe is worth too much to become a parts car.
      Hopefully you can find the parts off another cheaper model, unless this one is pretty bad.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
        I agree with Gary, but also think the Business Coupe is worth too much to become a parts car.
        Hopefully you can find the parts off another cheaper model, unless this one is pretty bad.
        I read it that he will be getting the parts off a third vehicle, a four door sedan. I believe that he is trying to determine which car to redo - the five passenger coupe (Starlight) or the three passenger coupe (business).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I see desirability as a tossup, but condition of the two should be the question. Both deserve salvage, but short term it should be the one most readily serviceable/restorable.

Comment

the coupes, both 5 and 3 passenger take the long trunk lid and associated hinges.
            The two door sedan, four door sedan, Land Cruiser and convertible take the short trunk lid and associated hinges.

If the cars are all 51's, then all the front fenders interchange.

If one of the cars is a 50, then the front fenders are different, even though they look similar.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Here's a deck lid not too far away.

RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
              X