Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a reasonable price to pay for a running 1960 289 4 bbl engine out of a Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a reasonable price to pay for a running 1960 289 4 bbl engine out of a Hawk?

What is a reasonable price to pay for a running 1960 289 4 bbl engine out of a Hawk? Thanks.

That would depend if it includes the Factory Dialed-in to crank centerline, Clutch or Torque Converter Housing.

Depending also on just how long ago or how many miles ago it was Freshened, Valves Ground, Overhauled or Rebuilt if EVER.

It "COULD BE"; DEPENDING, Depending, depending: ABOUT $500.00 TO $1000.00 IF Complete.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Unknowable. Some of the worst sludged-up-worn-out cores we've ever seen came from "running-when-pulled" (trucks are usually the worst) and some of the least worn have been sitting for years.

A compression test would tell a lot about what's in there. Plan on resealing anyway.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

That's good Jeff, BUT 289 Engines and especially CRANKS are not a dime a dozen like 259's.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you can, hear the engine running.
          Do a compression test.
          Bore scope the cyl's if possable.
          If it has the bellhousing you need it will be worth more.
          Expect to spend a little money freshening it up.
          The better all of the above are the more its worth.
          If you don't know about Studebaker engines try to take someone along who does.

Comment

Also, be sure it is indeed a 289 and not a 259. Find the engine serial number and see if it starts with a V (259) or a P (289).
            This number is located on a machined area on the top of the block near the driver side cylinder head, just behind the water pump.
            I recently bought a complete 289 4 speed still in a rolling Hawk chassis. I paid $1500 for everything. Your results may vary.
            sals54

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              That's good Jeff, BUT 289 Engines and especially CRANKS are not a dime a dozen like 259's.
              Whose Jeff and what'd he say???
              Bo

Comment

From being in the parts business for so long and dealing with lots of Studebaker engines I would say at $500. would be worth running or not. running and not smoking would be a good plus but either way the 289 crank and 4 bld. set up adds up to 500. like Sal stated double check on the numbers and also pull a plug and look down and see if flat or dish pistons and by using a thin screw driver run it across the piston and fell for the dish, a piston near the top works best. After closing the shop I had only one engine to bring home, I have had it for a number of years when picking up a 64 GT the engine was out and owner stated it was rebuilt by a professional engine builder and when he told me who it was then I knew it was in deed a pro. all these years it has been in the shop we figured it was a 259 by engine number, but when loading it on the truck to bring home I checked the cyl. hole and found it to be a 289 all the better an more reason to keep it but it is for sale complete engine $2000.00.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Working...
                X