PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: Stop lamp switch / spot light switch

Funkle
08-15-2018, 01:40 AM
So I was working on removing the old wiring harness in my 59 Lark to install a new one, and I have been having trouble disconnecting this switch. It's labelled "Spot Light Switch" in the shop manual and labelled "Stop Lamp Switch" (0615-12) in the chassis parts catalog. The trouble is just that I can't seem to pull off the wires, they can turn on the connections, but won't unscrew or loosen. Any ideas on how to get the wires off? Also, what exactly is the switch?

Thanks for any and all help!

jackb
08-15-2018, 07:21 AM
they are a "push/pull" type bayonet connector. Try light pliers' action.....pulling on wire end of connector, but no wire compress....GL

jclary
08-15-2018, 08:08 AM
Yep...those connectors should just pull right off with a little effort. A note of caution is to make sure the back of your elbow is clear of any obstructions when the connectors let go of their grip and you are pulling hard. Hitting your funny bone with full force is never funny.:oops::QQ:

Also, unless I am not focusing on the picture correctly, looks like you have a rather serious problem with your horn wire coming out of the end of your steering box. I don't have a '59 Lark, (I have a '60) but I'm kinda surprised at what looks like an old cloth insulated wire being used.:confused: I thought that most of the wiring had begun being converted to the more durable plastic insulation beginning in 1955.

TWChamp
08-15-2018, 08:32 AM
John's warning is right on. When I was 12 I was trying to remove a stuck loctal tube from my radio. When it finally let loose the tube wound up in my right eye, and I had a black eye.
I often use a small flat screwdriver to pry up on the end of the terminal. Just be sure the circuit is dead so the screwdriver can't short it out.

StudeRich
08-15-2018, 01:35 PM
It is just a Hydraulic Stop Light Switch, it is mislabeled on that wiring diagram.
You can see that the Power wire comes from the Stop Light and Dome Light Fuse on the Turn signal flasher and fuse Block.

The other wire on the S/Lt Sw. goes to the turn signal switch in the steering column, to determine if Left, Right or BOTH Stop/Turn Lights should light.

/Cut/Also, unless I am not focusing on the picture correctly, looks like you have a rather serious problem with your horn wire coming out of the end of your steering box. I don't have a '59 Lark, (I have a '60) but I'm kinda surprised at what looks like an old cloth insulated wire being used.:confused: I thought that most of the wiring had begun being converted to the more durable plastic insulation beginning in 1955.

Yes John, that is normal for almost all Horn wires even after 1954 to be that cloth covering, just like the Dome Light circuit, they must have had a few hundred MILES of left over cloth wire since WWII! :D Not the best plan, but they did have 2 or 3 rubber "cushions" along the wire through the steering shaft, but it still turned with the steering and broke the wire at the bottom. :(

Funkle
08-15-2018, 05:45 PM
Thank you everyone! I was able to disconnect the wires with a screwdriver and pliers.