Delorean Studebaker Connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delorean Studebaker Connections

Was at an adult beverage gathering place in Columbia (SC) a couple nights ago with a customer.... Chop Cut Rebuild came on the flat screen TV. They were/are/did a Bricklin street machine custom project. The gent next to me started going on about how the DeLorean started life in South Bend. He was tripping some memory cells of way back when, but I didn't remember enough to have an intelligent conversation on the subject. I know and remember what he told me, but thought it would be more fun to toss it around here.....
    So, fellow historians..
    Let's kick the DeLorean / Studebaker ties around...
    And not just John DeLorean...The car itself..
    Jeff[8D]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

'Never heard anything of that sort, Jeff...which isn't to say it never happened, you understand.

More realistically, do you suppose the fellow sitting next to you had quaffed enough adult beverage [:0] to have subsequently confused the DeLorean Motor Car Company with the Avanti's resurrection as a specialty car built outside Studebaker auspices? [?] [}] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

'Never heard anything of that sort, Jeff...which isn't to say it never happened, you understand.

More realistically, do you suppose the fellow sitting next to you had quaffed enough adult beverage [:0] to have subsequently confused the DeLorean Motor Car Company with the Avanti's resurrection as a specialty car built outside Studebaker auspices? [?] [}] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Here's part of the story of the activities of DeLorean with Studebaker:

As I understand it, all of the engineering files - for everything that Studebaker had done, ever - were destroyed when the company quit the car business to avoid future lawsuits. It would be interesting to know if anything like an engineering report on the Porsche work survived.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Here's part of the story of the activities of DeLorean with Studebaker:

As I understand it, all of the engineering files - for everything that Studebaker had done, ever - were destroyed when the company quit the car business to avoid future lawsuits. It would be interesting to know if anything like an engineering report on the Porsche work survived.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Chop/Cut/Rebuild; Are you sure it wasn't a BRICKLIN they were working on?

Comment

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fstst56

You know that might have been, I remember stumbling across some show that was redoing a Bricklin.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser

Comment

You know that might have been, I remember stumbling across some show that was redoing a Bricklin.

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser

Comment

Last time I saw the show they were butchering...I mean turning into an overpowered street rod....a Bricklin.

Waaaay different than a Delorean!
                    Similar doors though...except the Delorean's worked more often.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Last time I saw the show they were butchering...I mean turning into an overpowered street rod....a Bricklin.

Waaaay different than a Delorean!
                      Similar doors though...except the Delorean's worked more often.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Well duhhhh Jeff...
                        Yeah, it was a Bricklin.
                        Mebbe' my memory was a bit fuzzy a day or two later
                        Jeff[8D]

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Well duhhhh Jeff...
                          Yeah, it was a Bricklin.
                          Mebbe' my memory was a bit fuzzy a day or two later
                          Jeff[8D]

Jeff

Comment

No... I had asked him about Newman/Altman and the Avanti II, and he knew about them.
                            It was an interesting conversation because the guy told me he used to sell gas (welding, etc.) in South Bend and later sold stainless steel in South Bend. He said he had delivered welding gas to the Jefferson Street factory and had seen the prototype(s) themselves.He told me that quite a bit of prototype and engineering work was done on the DeLorean in a corner of the Jefferson Street plant (which would have been AM General at the time). I backed him up a couple of times to make sure I understood what he was telling me and he was pretty sure of himself. I asked him if he was talking about the Bricklin being prototyped in South Bend and he said "No, it was the DeLorean prototypes"... I would understand the Bricklin connection to AM General (via Kenosha), but didn't get the DeLorean connection to South bend.
                            That's why I tossed it out here, because I still don't quite get it.
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Jeff

Comment

No... I had asked him about Newman/Altman and the Avanti II, and he knew about them.
                              It was an interesting conversation because the guy told me he used to sell gas (welding, etc.) in South Bend and later sold stainless steel in South Bend. He said he had delivered welding gas to the Jefferson Street factory and had seen the prototype(s) themselves.He told me that quite a bit of prototype and engineering work was done on the DeLorean in a corner of the Jefferson Street plant (which would have been AM General at the time). I backed him up a couple of times to make sure I understood what he was telling me and he was pretty sure of himself. I asked him if he was talking about the Bricklin being prototyped in South Bend and he said "No, it was the DeLorean prototypes"... I would understand the Bricklin connection to AM General (via Kenosha), but didn't get the DeLorean connection to South bend.
                              That's why I tossed it out here, because I still don't quite get it.
                              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X