Disloyalty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disloyalty

i can't keep it a secret anymore. I've been disloyal to my wonderful Studebuddies out there, because I've been lusting after another car marque! Oh, it's not just some pedestrian Fordrolet or ChevroFord. These babies have class. Real class. And they're not some floozies you can put a hundred dollars on and drive away either. It those glorious luxo-tanks made by Lincoln from '49-51. Oh those Cosmic Cosmopolitans and Cool Capris! Yes I know they still had flatheads and had to buy Hydramatics, but I take one look at those deeply hooded headlights and those sparkling chrome wheel openings and I'm just like a big, pink, pre-softened glob-o Bondo. If none of you never want to correspond with me again and de- friend me from our group, I'll understand. I'll just try to enjoy driving my Sky Hawk like i used to, but I don't think it will ever be the same.
    peter lee

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
    i can't keep it a secret anymore. I've been disloyal to my wonderful Studebuddies out there, because I've been lusting after another car marque! Oh, it's not just some pedestrian Fordrolet or ChevroFord. These babies have class. Real class. And they're not some floozies you can put a hundred dollars on and drive away either. It those glorious luxo-tanks made by Lincoln from '49-51. Oh those Cosmic Cosmopolitans and Cool Capris! Yes I know they still had flatheads and had to buy Hydramatics, but I take one look at those deeply hooded headlights and those sparkling chrome wheel openings and I'm just like a big, pink, pre-softened glob-o Bondo. If none of you never want to correspond with me again and de- friend me from our group, I'll understand. I'll just try to enjoy driving my Sky Hawk like i used to, but I don't think it will ever be the same.
    Peter,
    If you want to get one of those cars go ahead. Several auto writers at the time referred to them as "Beached Whales with sunken eyes" but that did not defer people from buying them. Money may have had something to do with that as well as competing with Packard and Cadillac.

The flathead used in the car started life as a truck engine. The difficult thing now is finding parts for that engine; no support at all and when this cars went to the weeds, most stayed there.

You can style around town in the Sky Hawk and use the Cosmo for special dinners or if you want long road cruises. I know of a couple here in Arizona but they are a project not for the faint of heart.

Bob Miles

Comment

There is a big difference in the two series of Lincolns of that era. The "small" ones are basically lightly modified Mercurys. The "big" ones are really Lincolns.

I remember those laying around unwanted in the 1950s. There was one in this area that people wanted me to pull the engine from and put it into my 1949 Mercury coupe. I didn't do it. I just did a little to the Mercury.

The same as with Mercurys, I prefer the '49 to the '50 to the '51. In the 1950s, my car was a custom 1949 Mercury coupe. I also owned a 1951 Mercury coupe. As with most any car, I prefer a two door model over a four door.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Peter: A HS friend's family car was a Lincoln Cosmopolitan sedan. At that time it was the most luxurious car in which I had ridden. Here is a link to a current offering on Hemmings. It wouldn't make my list of ten cars, but it could if it was twenty!

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

The 51 Sport Sedan looks like a whale of a buy. Sorry for the pun.

Bob Miles

Comment

Peter, don't feel bad or disloyal. Apart from my Studebakers I have a 68 Pontiac, a 62 Volvo 544, a 41 Ford pickup & not including the daily drivers & the wife's "dream car" (otherwise referred by me as my "nightmare")
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Sell me your Sky Hawk and go buy your dream car. I’m serious.

Comment

If I want to show up in a nice classic American car, I drive my Studebaker. If I want to have the most fun getting there I drive my Mazda RX-7. If I want to enjoy the fresh air and show up in something absolutely unique, I drive my Stiletto three wheeler. If I need to tow a car, carry a load of scrap metal or trash, I drive my Ford truck. If there might be snow or ice, I drive my Mitsubishi SUV. If it is a sloppy rainy day and I don't want to drive my nicer cars, I drive the Geo Metro. If I add another car to my collection, it would have to do something these cars do not do. I can't think of anything else I need.

Well, actually I have been seriously studying the idea of building an amphibious car - I do live in Puget Sound with water everywhere.
                Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Yep I admit that I like them also, but I prefer the rare 2 Door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50 LIncoln Cosmo Capri4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1721643 Dad had bought one that a customer would have traded in on a '57 President, if the Used Car Mgr. had offered enough.
                  I remember those Hydraulic Power windows in our notchback 4 Door, they worked great but the right rear would go down after about a week and you had to start it up and power it back up.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Do you remember Chuck Heston's reply about giving up his guns? That's how I feel about my Sky Hawk. Sorry about that.
                    peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by 48skyliner View Post
                      If I want to show up in a nice classic American car, I drive my Studebaker. If I want to have the most fun getting there I drive my Mazda RX-7. If I want to enjoy the fresh air and show up in something absolutely unique, I drive my Stiletto three wheeler. If I need to tow a car, carry a load of scrap metal or trash, I drive my Ford truck. If there might be snow or ice, I drive my Mitsubishi SUV. If it is a sloppy rainy day and I don't want to drive my nicer cars, I drive the Geo Metro. If I add another car to my collection, it would have to do something these cars do not do. I can't think of anything else I need.

Well, actually I have been seriously studying the idea of building an amphibious car - I do live in Puget Sound with water everywhere.
                      I live on long Island. Lots of water here too, but no floating four-wheelers for me, except maybe for a weasel.
                      peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                        I live on long Island. Lots of water here too, but no floating four-wheelers for me, except maybe for a weasel.
                        Now, you're talkin', What a great idea?!!!

Mark
                        sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

"Yes I know they still had flatheads and had to buy Hydramatics"

I think you will find that the Linc's (that did very well) in the 50's Pan-Am races were running T-85 OD's?

Comment

Thought I would never own anything but our '53 custom Commander and stock '63 Avanti. Then at local Midnight at the Oasis show last March a custom '66 Chevy C10 truck was raffled off. 4000 tickets and mine was drawn. So, no guilt here.
                            Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                            jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Working...
                            X