Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Ruby Red" 1952 Steering Wheel -- will it fit a '51 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: "Ruby Red" 1952 Steering Wheel -- will it fit a '51 ?

Saw my first "Ruby Red" translucent steering wheel this weekend on a friend's 1952 Commander. I drive a 1951 Champion.

The steering wheels LOOK similar on the Schrock Bro's. steering wheel website. And boy would I love to replace my '51 badly painted steering wheel with one of those Ruby Red translucent models!

Does anyone know if the steering wheels themselves are are identical for 1951 and 1952 Champions/Commanders ?

The steering wheels are not identical, but I'm sure they would interchange. You should be able to get a 51 version cast in the translucent material if you want to keep the 51 horn ring.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 1951Champion View Post
      Saw my first "Ruby Red" translucent steering wheel this weekend on a friend's 1952 Commander. I drive a 1951 Champion.

The steering wheels LOOK similar on the Schrock Bro's. steering wheel website. And boy would I love to replace my '51 badly painted steering wheel with one of those Ruby Red translucent models!

Does anyone know if the steering wheels themselves are are identical for 1951 and 1952 Champions/Commanders ?

I purchased an original cream-colored translucent 1951 steering wheel for my 1951 Land Cruiser a few years ago from the Schrock Brothers. Since they required a core in exchange, I had a 1952 steering wheel with me and they took it for the core exchange. There is a different steel plate in the center of the wheel for 1952, but if I understood correctly, the wheel itself can be made for a '51 or '52, but once it is re-cast for a '52 (with the plate) it won't work for a '51.

If you can wait for the wheel to be cast, why not call them and set it up. Send them your wheel, have them to re-cast it in the color you want & they'll send it back. It ain't cheap, but you will love the results.

EDIT: Not until I made my initial post above, did I read close enough to realize you are inquiring about a "Champion." Even so, I believe there were two steering wheels for the '51 Champions. I think one used a simple horn button, and the more expensive deluxe "Horn Ring" steering wheel. Either way, call the Schrock Brothers & inquire. I have seen one of those Ruby Red steering wheels on a '51 Champion Coupe and it looked great!
      Last edited by jclary; 07-30-2018, 10:18 AM.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

And boy would I love to replace my '51 badly painted steering wheel with one of those Ruby Red translucent models!

Interchangeable but not identical. You would also need the requisite '52 horn ring and trim.
        But, as others have indicated, if you send your "badly painted" '51 wheel to Shrocks they can recast it in the red of your desire. Get in touch with them and see what their lead time would be. With autumn approaching you might be able to have it done over winter and back together before next driving season.

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks all for the suggestion, re: asking Schrock to just recast my '51 with the '52 Ruby Red translucent resin. Why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah, because that's why we have this terrific board!

Comment

1952 was the only year, other than Custom models, that did not use a round horn button or ring. It has a stylized ring with an emblem in the middle. The gray painted wheels seemed to last very long even in Arizona. I also have seen a Ruby Red original but the color was dull. It may have cleaned up but at the time, did not want to take a chance on buying it for $400.00 (1992) and possibly ruin it by trying to clean it. When I get my last 52 (wishful thinking here) I will probably stick with the gray and send it to Schrock if it needs freshening.

Bob Miles

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestion, re: asking Schrock to just recast my '51 with the '52 Ruby Red translucent resin. Why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah, because that's why we have this terrific board!

Comment

WOW!!!Beautiful! I think I'll get one of those on my next '51 or '52!

Comment

Working...
                X