Wire loom options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire loom options

The turn signal switch in my truck has a metal cover part of the way down the steering column. I would like to put the new wires into a loom or cover the rest of the way to the firewall. I don't care for the look of the modern plastic split loom and I was hoping for something better than tape. Any good ideas? I know it won't work any better, but I thought as long as I have painted everything it needs something neat and clean.

Before and after. I still need a knob.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

I used this to cover all of the wiring. It is a braided cloth type of material, that closes up nicely over the wiring. It looks period correct on older vehicles. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-70901/overview/
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
      I used this to cover all of the wiring. It is a braided cloth type of material, that closes up nicely over the wiring. It looks period correct on older vehicles. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-70901/overview/
      It's a possibility. How does it close? Is it just springy enough to stay or does it need some kind of tie?
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

This is probably the stuff you are thinking about - traditional woven asphalt-coated wire loom:
        http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/wire-loom/
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

You can get rigid plastic or metal wiring channels at home improvement stores that is meant to be used to keep wires from being ugly when exposed. The one piece mounts to the wall and the second, "U" shaped piece snaps over it, concealing the wires. Bet something like that could be made to work.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Yes, the stuff from summit is springy, and closes up snug on the wires. You can barely see the seam. I posted 1/4", but it comes in different sizes.
            Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
              You can get rigid plastic or metal wiring channels at home improvement stores that is meant to be used to keep wires from being ugly when exposed. The one piece mounts to the wall and the second, "U" shaped piece snaps over it, concealing the wires. Bet something like that could be made to work.
              I suspect the metal cover that came on my truck was something like that. I have not seen one on a stock vehicle. I probably should just forget it and run a thin black tube if I could find one. The asphalt coated loom would be fine for under the hood, but I don't really want it in the cab.
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                I suspect the metal cover that came on my truck was something like that. I have not seen one on a stock vehicle. I probably should just forget it and run a thin black tube if I could find one. The asphalt coated loom would be fine for under the hood, but I don't really want it in the cab.
                If it helps, your turn signal switch and wire cover looks like it came out of a '47-'49 Stude car.

Comment

some flexable electrical conduit painted might look nice

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    If it helps, your turn signal switch and wire cover looks like it came out of a '47-'49 Stude car.
                    Thanks for the picture. Some others had suggested the column was a 1950 model because of the self canceling part being built in, but this is the first picture I have seen with the wire cover. Do you know how that cover is attached? Mine just had an ugly hose clamp around the column.
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                    X