Six Volt Battery Availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six Volt Battery Availability

Just checking to see if anyone else out there has experienced this, but this was the first time, in 39 years with my '55, I went to buy a six volt battery in my rural town of 10,000, and ended up having to wait a day to get one.

With all the Farmall H's and M's, Ford 8N's, etc. around here, I thought Tractor Supply would have one. But, our store doesn't stock them anymore. Special Order only at Auto Zone or Advance. Our NAPA store still stocks them, but had a run on them and was out of them (Maybe because they are the only place to keep them around?). Get it tomorrow night.

I know 60 years is way much to expect even the most common items to be stocked. Just surprised TSC gave up the ghost on them.
    Last edited by 556063; 07-29-2018, 05:05 PM.

optima 6vdc.........

Comment

Yea, they can be a pain to get sometimes.
      But as the above note says, I've had "VERY" good luck with the Optima (6 and 12volt). In 2017/18, my 54 wagon (6 volt) sat for well over a year, no charging. I tried my luck to go to a hot rod gathering, spun the starter like I drove it yesterday.

Mike

Comment

I have no trouble finding them at Fleet Farm, swap meets, and Craigslist.
        My last 2 Fleet farm 6 volts lasted 13 years, and I didn't even treat them as well as I should have.

Comment

NAPA has an extra powerful 6V Battery that is common for fork lifts....I have that in my truck, turns over like a 12V

Comment

I have no problem getting Optima 6v from O'Riellys in the same day. I use two 6v batteries wired in parallel on my Packards, assume results.

Last edited by Silverplate; 07-31-2018, 04:14 PM.
            Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
            Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Originally posted by nwi-region-rat View Post
              NAPA has an extra powerful 6V Battery that is common for fork lifts....I have that in my truck, turns over like a 12V
              What is the catalog number of that battery, please?
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I went to my local (independent) parts store last week and bought all the 6-volt batteries he had in stock. (1) Got my truck cranked up for the first time since around the Christmas Holidays. Then, Saturday, I tried to crank up my '48 Coupe. After charging the battery all day, I managed to crank that car by using the 12V booster switch on my charger. Tomorrow, I plan to go back and buy all the 6-volt batteries he has in stock again! (1)...that is, if it comes in as promised. I'd rather wait a few days for a NEW battery than buy on that has been sitting on a shelf for months.

Due to other chores & obligations, I have not had the time to indulge in my Studebaker activities as much as I would like to. This year, it could cost me as many as 4 new batteries.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Any Case IH and prob JD dealer will have one and tractor batteries are more ruggedly built than car batteries. Running's has them if you're in the Midwest. Went to super 6v batt on 49 and it does make a difference.

Comment

Yes,I experienced that recently with a 3EE I bought at my NAPA store-after charging my brand new NAPA battery with no luck,they "special ordered" a new one,and the clerk admitted that my 3EE had been there for at least a year.So my advice would be to have NAPA,or whomever,order a fresh battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Avanti Fanatic View Post
                      Yes,I experienced that recently with a 3EE I bought at my NAPA store-after charging my brand new NAPA battery with no luck,they "special ordered" a new one,and the clerk admitted that my 3EE had been there for at least a year.So my advice would be to have NAPA,or whomever,order a fresh battery.
                      I have had no problem finding a fresh 3EE at Batteries Plus.
                      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Just to bring full circle my story in post#8 above...today I went back to my parts store and bought the newly ordered 6-volt battery for my '48 Business Coupe. Once installed, the engine sprang to life as soon as I pushed in the clutch far enough to engage the start switch. I'm not sure if it made a full revolution before it fired up. Before I took the old battery out, I tried to start the engine before driving to the store. It had enough power to turn the engine, but apparently, all the stored electricity was being used by the starter motor and there was not enough juice to charge up the coil to cause the necessary spark to ignite gasoline.

Not only is a reliable battery good to crank an engine, but it will supply enough confidence to drive further than the end of my own driveway.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                        X