Got my 2018 SDC roster but.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my 2018 SDC roster but.....

....my name's not in it! And yes, my dues have been paid.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Well, that ain't good.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

That's what I thought. No telling how many years it will take until a new roster comes out but maybe it will be included in that edition.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser

Comment

SDC members have the option of not having their info in the roster. Members can login to the SDC “member area” and review your membership to check your privacy staus and other membership details. It’s good to check that every now and then. If you do not have an SDC online account (different than your forum account) here is a video tutorial that shows you how to set that up:
        sigpic
        Bob Shaw
        Rush City, Minnesota
        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

My names not in it either. I guess I checked the wrong box. I would have liked to be in the roster in case someone was looking for contacts around this area. Oh well.......
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Fyi, I am not in there either.
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by BShaw View Post
              SDC members have the option of not having their info in the roster. Members can log in to the SDC “member area” and review your membership to check your privacy staus and other membership details. It’s good to check that every now and then. If you do not have an SDC online account (different than your forum account) here is a video tutorial that shows you how to set that up:
              https://youtu.be/fhFJOuk26FY
              Well, since this is a forum where we can share opinions & ideas, I think we need to take a serious look at our so-called "Roster." I think somewhere in my clutter, I have several old rosters. I'm thinking the oldest is 1978, but not sure. The problem with any roster is that they are outdated when printed. They always will be. However, as time and technology march on, there is the opportunity to have the most updated and accurate roster possible by computer programming. A running computerized roster attached to membership status should not be that difficult to develop. That way, members in good standing, should be able to log into their password-protected information, go to their "roster information," and edit any information they wish to share with the membership at large. The information could have an automatic expiration tied to membership due dates, or a designated administrator who could purge the list by family request should a member pass away. Either way, the failure to renew or keep membership should take care of keeping the list current.

I stopped ordering a printed roster because, after a short period of time, they seem to be more of a memorial obituary than a useful list of current members.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                A running computerized roster attached to membership status should not be that difficult to develop. That way, members in good standing, should be able to log into their password-protected information, go to their "roster information," and edit any information they wish to share with the membership at large.
                I am guessing you are suggesting that there should be greater user selectivity of roster info sharing than the current “in or out” choice? Complete selectivity would allow the member to share or not share each element (name, city, state, address, phone, email, vehicles). I have no doubt that those data fields could be added but it starts to be a lot of boxes for the member to tick and I am not sure many members want to have to go though a page of preferences.

The information could have an automatic expiration tied to membership due dates, or a designated administrator who could purge the list by family request should a member pass away. Either way, the failure to renew or keep membership should take care of keeping the list current.
                I believe that is how the database works now. Expired memberships (possibly after a short grace period) are automatically tagged as “inactive”. As far as a “designated administrator”, that would be the SDC membership service, Cornertone Registration. I imagine a phone call or email to them by a family member with a death notification and request to terminate the membership/magazine would be handled promptly. I can also imagine that making such notification is pretty far down a surviving spouse or family member’s priority list. Let’s say a member passes away and the membership is paid through 2021 (or is a lifetime member) that membership will stay “active” unless/until the family notifies the club that the membership should cease. A third party really cannot make that decision as the family may want to continue to receive the magazine.

There is a time lag to get a printed roster downloaded, formatted, printed, shipped to warehouse and shipped to buyer. There will always be outdated info as you noted.

What I have written above is unofficial. i could be wrong on the details/process. You can contact Cornerstone if you want to know for sure how they manage membership data. You might also directly contact your Zone Director and/or Coordinator with your suggestions on improving the roster as I am sure any significant chages to how member data is collected and shared would need to go through the Board.
                sigpic
                Bob Shaw
                Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Bob, your explanation is correct in all aspects of it. The online roster in the (SDC) members only section of the website is up to date As dues are paid or new members join the club they are automatically placed in the membership roster. There is approximately a 30 day delay in removing members who failed to renew. As for life members, the primary reason we send out requests on an annual basis is to 1) Comply with New York law and 2) to hopefully have a family member notify us of the death of a member. Thank you Bob for your explanation.
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

My dues have not lapsed somewhere down the road and I don't think anybody has reported me dead. So is my not getting in the new edition of the printed roster just a mistake somewhere?
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	97B51A1E-D884-4026-AE8E-4037B34B7691.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1721570
                      This image is part of one’s membership account page. Note that the member can indicate whether the address and/or phone number be kept private. If you read the last line in the small print it says that if the address is indicated as private the member will not be included in the membership directory.
                      sigpic
                      Bob Shaw
                      Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Joe,

I just checked the membership database here's what your data shows:

Address Privacy?

Simply stated this is way your name and address does not show in the
                        roster
                        Member has requested address privacy. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE.

sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Gosh, this means that a person can be a member, but not in the roster. A fellow could be falsely accused of not being a member.
                          sigpic
                          Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                            Gosh, this means that a person can be a member, but not in the roster. A fellow could be falsely accused of not being a member.
                            You mean like an unlisted number in the phone directory? The telco used to charge an extra dollar a month for an unlisted number. 'could be an extra revenue generator for SDC.

Craig

Comment

Yep. I joined in 2004 and do not believe I have ever been listed in a printed roster so the ability for members to opt out has been around at least that long.
                              sigpic
                              Bob Shaw
                              Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Working...
                              X