PDA

View Full Version : Engine: a/c w/flathead six

dstude
07-27-2018, 12:35 AM
What kind of experiences have members had putting air conditioning in a car with a flathead six? Certainly it has been done. I'm just wondering how it worked out and if it's a reasonable thing to do, particularly if you live in the flatlands. Any information, stories, opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.

StudeRich
07-27-2018, 02:05 AM
They are so underpowered, more people probably took them off than on. I don't think the Factory started offering A/C on a Six til around 1960.

6hk71400
07-27-2018, 02:08 AM
What kind of experiences have members had putting air conditioning in a car with a flathead six? Certainly it has been done. I'm just wondering how it worked out and if it's a reasonable thing to do, particularly if you live in the flatlands. Any information, stories, opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.

My experience was as a child when I was 10 years old. We had a 1959 Lark six with a straight 3 speed and after my mother had radiation and cancer surgery dad put A/C in our car. Phoenix weather can be brutal in summer and the AC worked good. Of course, as my dad said when he sold it for $100.00 in 1968 to an Airman at Luke AFB that you are not going to get a car that will take off and fly but decent transportation. The Airman PCS'd to Florida and drove the Lark down there. I am sure it is long gone due to rust but it did not have any rust the entire time we owned it.

When all five of us were in the car and going uphill AC switched off to be able to get to the top.

Keep in mind this was 50 years ago, but the car never overheated but as dad stated not gonna take off and fly.

Bob Miles

52-fan
07-27-2018, 10:51 AM
The modern rotary compressors are a lot easier to turn than the original type. I talked to a man about the one on his Champion several years ago and he liked it. Of course, the Champion engine doesn't have much power to spare. ;)
I had some pictures, but I can't find the file right now.

fpstude
07-27-2018, 01:13 PM
I'm in the same central California valley as dstude. The '50 Business Coupe I'm working on will have A/C powered by the original Flathead six. The biggest hill I'll probably climb will be to Placerville to visit the John Studebaker wheelbarrow. (1,800 ft.) Would I rather have a V8? Of course I would. However, installing a Mustang II front suspension, or a S-10 frame is not practical for me. The car is 98% rust free, so I'll work with it. There have been posts on the forum showing compressor mounting on the Champ engine, however my searches have not found them. Any assistance in finding them would be appreciated.

TWChamp
07-27-2018, 02:06 PM
I guess most of us, me included, just assume Champion 6 every time we see flathead 6, but the Commander flathead 6 has much more power.
Even so, if I lived in a hotter climate, I'd certainly think about adding A/C to my 85 H.P. Champion 6. Modern A/C only uses a couple horsepower.

thunderations
07-27-2018, 02:12 PM
Make a bracket to mount the compressor and also a small turbo charger on. Might gain 10 to 20% more power without jeopardizing reliability. Might even make the car fun to drive..........up hill or down.