Marvel Mystery oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel Mystery oil

I have a 52 champion coupe parts car. There is a canistor on pasanger side under hud about 6" by 6" tall haswhat lookes like a pump on top and a filler cap. Two lines tie to pump to oil pasage in block. What is it ? Does anyone hahe information on this? Doug M

What you most likely have is an aftermarket partial flow cannister oil filter. (Fram most likely). Some of the tops have a retainer 'knob' that looks like a pump handle. There are two flex lines that make the installation a bit more universal than a total hard line would. If you follow the two lines, you will fine one line runs over by the oil pump (supply) and the other runs over by the oil filler/dipstick tube (return).
    Pretty common option for an engine of that era, even though most of them are mounted on the LHS of the engine....(But you never know)
    Good question to be asked though!
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Doug M

I have a 52 champion coupe parts car. There is a canistor on pasanger side under hud about 6" by 6" tall haswhat lookes like a pump on top and a filler cap. Two lines tie to pump to oil pasage in block. What is it ? Does anyone hahe information on this? Doug M
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

What you most likely have is an aftermarket partial flow cannister oil filter. (Fram most likely). Some of the tops have a retainer 'knob' that looks like a pump handle. There are two flex lines that make the installation a bit more universal than a total hard line would. If you follow the two lines, you will fine one line runs over by the oil pump (supply) and the other runs over by the oil filler/dipstick tube (return).
      Pretty common option for an engine of that era, even though most of them are mounted on the LHS of the engine....(But you never know)
      Good question to be asked though!
      Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

This is not a filter like fram.Ihave one my 51 commander coupe. This cannaster has a filler cap and what looks like a pump on top. The pump has no wires to opperate it.I think it must work aff oil pressure.Ithink it must be used to despence Marvel Mystery Oil a little bit at a time

Comment

This is not a filter like fram.Ihave one my 51 commander coupe. This cannaster has a filler cap and what looks like a pump on top. The pump has no wires to opperate it.I think it must work aff oil pressure.Ithink it must be used to despence Marvel Mystery Oil a little bit at a time

Comment

I found one on EBAY conpleted list not the same pump was on glass jar not metel canister if you knew about this plese let me know. Doug

Comment

I found one on EBAY conpleted list not the same pump was on glass jar not metel canister if you knew about this plese let me know. Doug

Comment

The Marvel upper cylinder oilers were connected from the glass jar to the carb base or intake manifold to use vacuumn to draw it in, there was a small orface that allowed only a slow drip into the system. The owner of the Atlantic Richfield Gas station I worked at in the '60's ran them on both of his cars and added 1 Qt. Marvel to the engine oil and added a small amount to the fuel.

He said it extended valve and ring jobs. I don't think it would work on a Stude. because if you extended the engine tear downs and did not replace the seals and gaskets you couldn't keep the oil in it for all the LEAKS!

Best use: decorate your garage shelf with it!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Marvel upper cylinder oilers were connected from the glass jar to the carb base or intake manifold to use vacuumn to draw it in, there was a small orface that allowed only a slow drip into the system. The owner of the Atlantic Richfield Gas station I worked at in the '60's ran them on both of his cars and added 1 Qt. Marvel to the engine oil and added a small amount to the fuel.

He said it extended valve and ring jobs. I don't think it would work on a Stude. because if you extended the engine tear downs and did not replace the seals and gaskets you couldn't keep the oil in it for all the LEAKS!

Best use: decorate your garage shelf with it!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Does yours look like this Doug? http://tinyurl.com/3dfu59
                    These however would be plumbed to a thin plate under the carburetor so MM oil would be metered into the intake for upper cylinder lubrication. What you have sounds more like a pre-oiler of some kind to pressurize the lower end of the engine.

Dwain G.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Does yours look like this Doug? http://tinyurl.com/3dfu59
                      These however would be plumbed to a thin plate under the carburetor so MM oil would be metered into the intake for upper cylinder lubrication. What you have sounds more like a pre-oiler of some kind to pressurize the lower end of the engine.

Dwain G.
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

That it looks just like it thanks for your input Doug M

Comment

That it looks just like it thanks for your input Doug M

Comment

Working...
                          X