Champ paint and body panel numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ paint and body panel numbers

Does anyone know what the numbering was for Champ pickup front clip and cab body panels?

Someone posted a PO on the Studebaker Truck Talk and it was specially ordered with three different colors (and it was the cab only...).

This is the PO:

Thanks

Interesting, the Factory had Panel/Area numbers for paint on a Champ T Cab only, of: 1 thru 6, 9, 10 & 11!

Wow, I sure wish someone would have interviewed and video taped some of these laid-off Factory workers for their knowledge base in 1964, before they were lost or gone.

And this: "York Hoover Corp." wanted a THREE Tone; Red, Yellow, White!

This Truck REALLY IS Special!

A 5E12-122 3/4 Ton Champ Cab & Chassis, 259 V8, 3 or 5 Speed? Overdrive, 2 Speed Rear Axle, Twin Traction, 4.88 Ratio Axle, Power Brake Booster, Hill Holder, H.D. Radiator, H.D. Fan, H.D. Battery, (5) 8 Ply. 17.5 Inch Tires, H.D. Shocks -front & rear, H.D. Fan, 1 Qt. Oil Filter, Class "A" Turn Signals -front only, Climatizer, Dual Tail Lights.

A T4 Standard Cab, but with a Right Visor, Cigar "Liter", Foam Seat Cushion, and Dual Door Locks.

Nowhere does it indicate if that O.D. is a 3 or a 5 Speed, but a 2 Speed Rear Axle in a 3/4 Ton Truck? THAT is really questionable, with only ONE Ratio!

Order written 3/28/60, not built until 5/6/60, and who knows HOW many were in the Fleet.

THIS puts a new prospective on the term: Special Ordered"!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-20-2018, 04:11 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have seen that numbering defined somewhere. Perhaps it was in a shop manual or body parts book. I am not where I can check.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It was a 3sp/OD - PO from one of my trucks.

Sometime in its history, this happened to it:

Comment

Here it is, Rich: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...registry/page2

Also see Post #5 here for panel number reference: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ht=niles+paint

Craig
          Last edited by 8E45E; 08-16-2018, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks Craig, I did see that after posting this, I see it has lost most of the important features that the P.O. says it was supposed to have, and it is a three speed and NO 2 Speed Rear as I expected.

I can see no trace of the Fender mounted Class "A" turn signals, and we now know the Overdrive is gone from his Posts and pictures on the Studebaker Truck Talk Forum.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              I have seen that numbering defined somewhere. Perhaps it was in a shop manual or body parts book. I am not where I can check.
              I am wondering if it might be in some of the information Studebaker printed for fleet vehicles? I thumbed through my shop manual and parts book and did not come across anything.

Comment

We know "paint-by-numbers" existed for cars, and it seems they must exist for some trucks too. My best guess is the complete cab was Kraft Yellow, the grill, air intakes, headlight rings and bumper were Parchment, and that odd red stripe was Apache. I have no idea how they speced out the stripe.
                Here is a poor copy of a car chart:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	paint.guide.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1721505
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                X