Wording is important in for sale ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wording is important in for sale ads

Here is ad for a Studebaker for sale. It's a shame that, "the owner passed away in good condition and with most of the parts."

I wonder why he died?

Originally posted by studefan View Post
    Here is ad for a Studebaker for sale. It's a shame that, "the owner passed away in good condition and with most of the parts."

https://louisville.craigslist.org/ct...644292276.html
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Comment

I keep posting this on the facebook "for sale" section, and its somewhat relevant. Not so much related to proper grammar and punctuation, but more towards providing the needed information.

Comment

That looks like a great Car, the shift lever doesn't resemble a Automatic, it could be a Manual or Overdrive, and that would be a Plus. Very nice Original Color and Paint. Just a bit overpriced needing finishing, but if accurate, VERY low miles.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I found that when I was buying and selling cars, the best deals were those Craigs List ads with lousy pictures and a poor description. While everyone was laughing at the ad, I bought some pretty nifty cars.

Not everyone is a pro photographer and a marketing genius.

Rich, you mistakingly capitalized several words (Car, Automatic, Manual, Overdrive, Plus, Original, Color, Paint).

Your first sentence is actually 3 sentences.

Should be "an automatic", not "a automatic".

Just trying to help since " if YOU post it to the World Wide Web WITHOUT proof reading it, it is YOUR reputation on the line, no one else's."
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

There must be a '63 Daytona on the property somewhere, as I see a set of green & white vinyl front seats in front of the Land Cruiser.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
              I wonder why he died?
              The add stated why. He only had most of the parts. I guess the missing ones were important.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post

Rich, you mistakingly capitalized several words (Car, Automatic, Manual, Overdrive, Plus, Original, Color, Paint).

Just trying to help since " if YOU post it to the World Wide Web WITHOUT proof reading it, it is YOUR reputation on the line, no one else's."
                It's not just me. Cudos.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                  The add stated why. He only had most of the parts. I guess the missing ones were important.
                  I guess that you picked up a missing d from him .
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Interesting...Click image for larger version

Name:	1f914.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	1721425 I wonder if he took the car parts with him or if he wasn't an organ donor?Click image for larger version

Name:	1f92a.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	1721426
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                      I wonder why he died?
                      I think he just ran out of gas.

Comment

I plan on taking ALL the parts and MOST of the tools when I go. You just don't know what's on the other side.
                        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                        1950 Champion Convertible
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Much of my career at Boeing was as a Customer Service engineer, answering all those letters and telexes from the airlines about their technical problems. I had many arguments with one particular manager who always insisted in editing everything I wrote. He eventually was sent to San Francisco as a field service rep, and one day about a year later he was in the office for a meeting. In a room full of people he said "Ben how are you doing?" I replied that I was doing very well, having won the Professional Writing award several times since he was no longer editing everything I wrote.

One of my co-workers had a sign on his desk which said "Man's greatest motivation is not love or hate or greed, but the compulsion to edit other people's writing".

For several years I was a contributing author for Challenge Publications, and wrote articles for Air Progress, Air Classics, Air Trails, and Aviation Quarterly Review. I never had an editor change a single word of anything I wrote. How did I do that? Well, the editor wants to have some sort of artistic input, so I NEVER put a title on any of my articles.

I have no problem with someone taking artistic license and capitalizing certain words for emphasis. As for the grammar, I think the stuff StudeRich writes is much better than most of what I see on the internet, excepting this forum which has a high participation of people old enough to have been taught English in school.

Unfortunately my experience with Craigslist has been the opposite of Steinkamp's. For me the guys who could not write in complete sentences and give a decent description of what they were selling always turned out to be flakes.
                          Last edited by 48skyliner; 07-18-2018, 03:42 AM.
                          Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                          See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

[QUOTE=Dick Steinkamp;1118714]I found that when I was buying and selling cars, the best deals were those Craigs List ads with lousy pictures and a poor description. While everyone was laughing at the ad, I bought some pretty nifty cars.

Not everyone is a pro photographer and a marketing genius.

Illiteracy is endemic in our society. Have you seen some of the "post's" on Facebook? Did no one make it through third grade? Language is an agreement, as in: let's all call this animal a dog and this one a cat. There must be some sort of bounty being offered to anyone who can use the most "apostrophe's" in one sentence, i.e. "Buick's, tire's" ad infinitum, ad nauseum. I try to correct the language and of course I'm referred to as the "Grammar Nazi," but that's OK. Someone has to do it lest we revert to communicating with clicks and grunts.
                            peter lee

Comment

Regarding post #4: It looks like the edge of a clutch pedal can be seen just above the bright light switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X