How to win the 50/50 at a car show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to win the 50/50 at a car show

Most of us attend multi-make car shows with our Studebakers from time to time as I did today, the Opening Day of our annual Hendricks County Indiana 4H Fair.

The Indianapolis Car Club Cluster Busters, probably one of the oldest continuously-operating car clubs in the country, sponsors a multi-make car show on the opening day of the fair, so I took the Wagonaire out to support the effort. (Click to enlarge photos):

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0233[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	1758208

Wile E. Coyote rode along in case any Road Runners were in attendance, but there weren't ('prolly couldn't have caught 'em with a 180 HP 259 / Flightomatic anyway...):

Name:	DSCN0236[1].jpg
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1758209

Meanwhile, they came around asking for donations for the 50/50 drawing, as we've all likely experienced. As usual, you could buy one ticket for $1 or six tickets for $5.

But they had a new twist: If you wanted to stuff the ballot box, for $20 they would unroll the long roll of tickets and give you the entire length of your car in 50/50 tickets...for only $20! Since each ticket was less than 2" long, that was a good deal.

I don't know how many people took them up on it, but I think this guy did...

Name:	DSCN0231[1].jpg
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1758210

It wasn't him that won the $138 pot, though, believe it or not. (It wasn't me, either, sorry to say...) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

At a major car show held in Carthage MO each Oct. they sell you a roll that is as long as your arm spread for $5.00. I won $148.00 dollars one year.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

If the pot was $138.00, that means they only sold $276.00 worth of tickets. Who knows how many were sold?

Last Wednesday, at the motorcycle speedway races in City of Industry, the pot was $644.00! Every ticket is a buck, no quantity discounts. And the guy that won gave his winnings to the purse for the winners!

Comment

Several years ago the 50/50 pot at an Arizona car show we attended was announced as being $750. Then it was announced that because the pot was so large it would be split three ways. Guess whose ticket was the first one drawn? Yes, ours.
        Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
        jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

The SE Zone meet a few years ago did this.
          Used 'The Black Car' and measured all the way out to the back of the parachute pack.
          Good marketing. Sold a lot of tickets.
          Then a 1&1/2 ton Ccab farm truck showed up and put me to shame, length wise
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

B-T-W Bob, the Caddie is correctly displaying the flags. I keep seeing folks with flags attached to the tops of their doors or off the back of a pickup truck. Doesn't anyone read flag etiquette and the proper rules for displaying them anymore?
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
              Several years ago the 50/50 pot at an Arizona car show we attended was announced as being $750. Then it was announced that because the pot was so large it would be split three ways. Guess whose ticket was the first one drawn? Yes, ours.
              In other words, you were out $125 that should have been yours per the rules at the time of ticket sales. Also, the charity or club that ran the raffle was out a like amount.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X