PDA

View Full Version : Body: 1955 coupe quarter window seal install

cycledog
07-08-2018, 09:55 AM
Is there a trick to install the quarter window seals on a 55 coupe? I got a pair from SI and they are kicking my butt. Seems simple and straight forward but there must me some trick to it. Does any of the rubber from the molding need to be trimmed?

I have one taken apart and am trying to get it back together. I can't seem to get the rubber to fit correctly where the tabs go through the slots. Seems to be too much rubber??

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Steve

rockne10
07-08-2018, 07:37 PM
It IS straight forward; it's just not LEGOSĀ®. They do take some patience, and perhaps a little PB Blaster or silicone to massage them in to place. But nothing should be trimmed off. ALL of that rubber is necessary to make a tight seal between both surfaces.

cycledog
07-09-2018, 09:48 AM
Thanks rockne. That's what I thought. I guess I just need more patience.

Jerry Forrester
07-09-2018, 06:14 PM
Is there a trick to install the quarter window seals on a 55 coupe? I got a pair from SI and they are kicking my butt. Seems simple and straight forward but there must me some trick to it. Does any of the rubber from the molding need to be trimmed?

I have one taken apart and am trying to get it back together. I can't seem to get the rubber to fit correctly where the tabs go through the slots. Seems to be too much rubber??

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Steve

I am going to do what many of the guys on this forum do, and that is, NOT give you the solution to your problem but advise you to do something entirely different. Do away with the hinge and latch and rubber seal and glue the glass directly to the body. That's what I did so therefore I think that's the way it should be done.

tsenecal
07-09-2018, 06:51 PM
I just finished installing mine. I used a small amount of dish soap, (dawn) and they popped into the frames with a small amount of pressure. You also have to make sure that the slot for the hinge is on the correct side. Good luck! The guy at Studebaker rubber and glass offered me advice, if I needed to call him. If you are still having a tough time, you could give him a call.

Noxnabaker
07-10-2018, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't use silicone because it's bad if you get it on steel, use soap instead & if the rubber is to hard then heat it up in some hot water to soften it.