Liquid Wrench on the valves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Wrench on the valves?

I haven't started my '56 Wagon for about six or seven years. Well I did attempt four or five years ago and think I had a stuck valve. Okay, if I try pulling the valve covers and spraying everything with liquid wrench, letting it sit for a while and then attempt a start, would the Liquid Wrench cause any problems? Is this a bad idea? I'm planning on changing the oil anyway, though what is in there has had very little use. I think it would be best to change it after all this time. Speaking of which, question two, any suggestions on oil? The stuff I used to use is NLA. I'm also thinking of calling the fellas in Redwood City (Studebakers West) and bothering them with a few questions, if they'll put up with me.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Liquid wrench will not cause you any problems when mixed with the oil. It is mostly petroleum and detergents. You might try pulling the spark plugs and squirting in 4 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder. Let sit a few days and then try and turn over the engine by hand. If it turns over then spin it over withe the starter. Turn it over until you see about 20 psi of oil pressure or more. Then install the plugs and see if it will fire up. Carb might be full of junk from the gas drying out so be patient. If you get it running don't worry about the stuck valve just yet. Shut if off and add a full quart of Marvel to the oil. Don't worry if it overfills it as you will not be driving it that way just running it. Start it back up and see if you can run it at 1200 to 1500 rpm for about ten to fifteen minutes. You need to get it to operating temperature or close. Then bring it to idle and listen at the tailpipe for popping sounds. I ran the 56 259 three times and on the third time all the popping sounds went away as the Marvel unstuck the valves. When you are sure things are OK then change the oil and by all means check with the guys at Stude West for an oil recommendation. They will be glad to get you on the right track. Oh and after you drive it about 500 miles do yourself a favor and adjust the valves. It is the ones you do NOT hear that will bite you big time. Hope this helps.

Comment

Actually, what I might do is drive it down to Stude West and have someone who actually knows what they are doing adjust the valves. However, before I do that, there's a lot of brake work to be done. The MC seems to have gone bad and I think the flex hose to the right front is bad. So, MC to rebuild, HH to rebuild, new flex hoses and possibly rebuild all four wheel cylinders, if they need it. They were relatively new when Bess got parked. I have a friend who is a pro who can help me with all of that.

My main concern though was that loud popping from the engine. The car has a relatively new exhaust and shouldn't be that loud. Scared the crap out of me!

I have been regularly turning the engine both electrically and by hand. However, better safe than sorry, so I will still put a bit of MMO in the cylinders before firing up. I'll pull the plugs and do this tomorrow.

I really, really want to get this old girl going again. She is my favourite to drive. I'm also kinda hoping to pull my Spartanette with her. But one thing at a time for now. For now, she just needs to be gently awakened again.

By the by Dan, thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited by studeclunker; 07-07-2018, 10:46 PM.
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
        Actually, what I might do is drive it down to Stude West and have someone who actually knows what they are doing adjust the valves. However, before I do that, there's a lot of brake work to be done. The MC seems to have gone bad and I think the flex hose to the right front is bad. So, MC to rebuild, HH to rebuild, new flex hoses and possibly rebuild all four wheel cylinders, if they need it. They were relatively new when Bess got parked. I have a friend who is a pro who can help me with all of that.
        What is an HH? Harold Hecuba?

Comment

Very good advice, it is very important to not spin the Starter before you are pretty sure a Valve is not stuck.
          A stuck Valve on a Stude. Engine that is spun at speed will not cause catastrophic Piston damage but it WILL bend a Pushrod.

If you are in doubt, pull a Valve cover or two and tap on the valve end of the rockers to see if they are all free.

Don't know who Harold is, but Clunker means the Hill holder.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good advise, years ago I had an Englishman that used to work on an MG TF 1250 I had, his best line was "valves are like children, when they're quite they are doing their most damage".

Comment

You didn't mention whether it was a v8 or 6. I'll assume it's an 8, the fact that you already ran the motor (as evidenced by the popping noise you mentioned), seems to indicate a valve stuck open (we'll assume an exhaust since you didn't mention blow back thru the carb). This will mean there is way too much clearance between the rocker and the pushrod. The pushrod can disconnect from the rocker and get jammed and bent.

If it is a 6, there is no pushrod to worry about. An open valve means the tappet will get slapped by cam (no spring pressure now able to keep it in contact with the cam) & could hammer the bottom of the block.

I wouldn't drive it if either of these conditions exist, but that's just me.
              Mike Sal

Comment

I've had good luck with Sea Foam, both in the oil and in the gas. With today's dry gas, I always add 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to each 10 gallons of gas. I've heard others add a quart of diesel to each tank of gas, because today's gas doesn't have the lubricity of the good gas of the 70's.

Comment

10 years ago I successfully unstuck a couple of valves in a high mileage 259 by mixing automatic transmission fluid with the gas, and let it idle for half an hour. Today I'd pull the heads and do it right.

Comment

Marvel Mystery Oil has been around for likely 100 years, it's a "top" oil when put into gas is amazing, in the 50's and 60's used car dealer used to use it and tired old motors ran like a steam engine, no noise, or taps or anything, but when it was gone, same old worn out engine....how it worked was always a "mystery". I don't thing it is any better or worst that other stuff when put into the crankcase.

Comment

Originally posted by mike cenit View Post
                      Marvel Mystery Oil has been around for likely 100 years, it's a "top" oil when put into gas is amazing, in the 50's and 60's used car dealer used to use it and tired old motors ran like a steam engine, no noise, or taps or anything, but when it was gone, same old worn out engine....how it worked was always a "mystery". I don't thing it is any better or worst that other stuff when put into the crankcase.
                      When I worked in a small used car lot in the 1950s, they added automatic transmission fluid to the oil of cars with noisy valves before taking the car through the auction. I guess that Marvel Mystery Oil was considered to be too expensive for them.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        Don't know who Harold is, but Clunker means the Hill holder.
                        You must be a lot loder than I Rich.

Comment

Hill Holder
                          Steve

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

53 Commander Hardtop, A/T, P/S
                          55 Commander Conestoga
                          60 Lark Regal Convertible, A/T
                          59 Lark 4 Door Parts Car
                          62 Champ 7E7, A/T
                          49 2R15 Stakebed

Comment

Working...
                          X