Updating my 2R dash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating my 2R dash.

Along with rewiring my new (to me) truck, I have been refurbishing the gauges and changing to a 12 volt fuel gauge. I have a couple of Runtz devices on my 52 Commander, but since the 6 volt units in the truck were of unknown condition I modified some Lark parts. I have cleaned all the gauges and painted the needles white. The speedometer is not original and had an orange needle as did the Lark fuel gauge. I bought a new glass while in South Bend last May and made my own gaskets. The temperature gauge is missing from the pictures because I left it attached to the engine. It has also been cleaned and repainted. I still need to paint the panel before reassembling the pieces for good.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

I found that off the shelf Rustoleum item 249032 Gloss Khaki looks like the color that I see in photos of other trucks, if your dash is a tan color. I cleaned and painted mine about a year ago, and I am happy with how it turned out. I had a very difficult time getting the gages out of their casings, and was worried about them having been damaged, but they still work.

Comment

The glass looks great! Did you repaint the letters and numerals, and if so, how did you do that? Inquiring minds want to know!
      Mike Davis
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
        The glass looks great! Did you repaint the letters and numerals, and if so, how did you do that? Inquiring minds want to know!
        The glass is from Studebaker International. It was a bit less than half price because of a tiny chip in one corner that doesn't even show when installed.
        I was planning to use stick-on transfers, but this as too good to pass up. There are letter sets that have the adhesive on the face side. Lining everything up would be the trick.
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I guess someone might wonder how I used a Lark sending unit since the car tank is shallower. A bit of planning and some solder.
          Attached Files
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Funny on a couple of counts: 1) I dis-assembled my 2R dash yesterday at interior paint time. I went to the store and picked out Rustoleum Khaki Gloss paint also (painting today after rust kill primer yesterday). I need to buy the silver paint for the speedo reveal and for my crazed headlight rims (might change it to White (grille) if I don't like it. My cluster house was fitted to the dash with dum dum - like goo instead of a gasket (thanks for the good timing). Question: the gage lights (12V) are very dim prior to my work now. Will they burn brighter with white interior paint or silver ?? I see 2 gaskets made up for your cluster vs. 1..... ??

Comment

White will reflect more light than silver, so I'd use white for gauges, parking lights, and taillights.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                Funny on a couple of counts: 1) I dis-assembled my 2R dash yesterday at interior paint time. I went to the store and picked out Rustoleum Khaki Gloss paint also (painting today after rust kill primer yesterday). I need to buy the silver paint for the speedo reveal and for my crazed headlight rims (might change it to White (grille) if I don't like it. My cluster house was fitted to the dash with dum dum - like goo instead of a gasket (thanks for the good timing). Question: the gage lights (12V) are very dim prior to my work now. Will they burn brighter with white interior paint or silver ?? I see 2 gaskets made up for your cluster vs. 1..... ??
                The white item you see is the pattern I made from poster board before cutting the gasket material. I was glad I did this because the first try was slightly too small.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

SI shows the instrument panel gasket (rubber) in the catalog (part # 652220), pg.55. I need to get that, some window channels, gage glass (cracked), and a pair of vent window seals...... do the vent seals just fit into the assy. or does the vent wing pivot need removing ???

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                    SI shows the instrument panel gasket (rubber) in the catalog (part # 652220), pg.55. I need to get that, some window channels, gage glass (cracked), and a pair of vent window seals...... do the vent seals just fit into the assy. or does the vent wing pivot need removing ???
                    On C cab trucks, the entire vent window assy must be removed to replace the rubber gasket. It's not hard to remove: a couple of screws through the gasket on the bottom, and 3 (I think) from the top of the door. The pivot and the rivet at the top both need to be removed.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                    X