What is this wire for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: What is this wire for?

I’m in Wisconsin working on my Dad’s ‘64 Hawk, and he has a wire running from the positive battery terminal running to the alternator. It’s a Powermaster Chrysler like unit that I got him for Christmas many years ago. It has 3 other wires connected to it as well, so I’m not sure what it’s there for. It’s circled in yellow in the photo. Ideas? Also, can I remove it?Click image for larger version

Name:	36B55906-02EE-48BD-90B0-2F4E0A3D1BA6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	1758174

There were kits available some years ago where as you could connect the alternator in a manner to attain 110 volts to run small drills or a small saw. Some factory trucks (not Studebaker) were contractors models and the alternator was prewired for 110 volts with external plugins.

Comment

Turns out from doing some research that this wire is there to handle the increased amp rating of the Powermaster alternator which is about 100-125 amps if I remember. The wire my dad put in was about 10 gauge solid wire. I replaced it with 8 gauge stranded.

Comment

So the charge is not going through the Ammeter? That's got to cause some weird readings on the gauge or none.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That explains why my dad took out the ammeter and put in a voltmeter instead.

Comment

Working...
          X