Planning a rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning a rebuild

I am rebuilding, not restoring, my first car a beautiful, modified 1958 Silver Hawk. I bought the car almost 10 years and besides normal maintenance we have throughly enjoyed driving and occasionally showing the car at local shows and cruise-ins. The car is reliable, fairly quick and just a joy to drive.

The car came to me with a SMB chevy, TH350 transmission, a Turner front brake conversion, and a Ford 8.8 rear end. The Silver Hawk had been painted and an amateur interior install in the 1980-'s. It is time for upgrade. Now that I am retired it is time to get busy but as this is my first attempt at rebuilding a car I have to admit I am perplexed as to how to plan the project. So my question is ho to best plan the project and hopefully keep the car on the road as much as possible. My wish list includes rebuilding the front suspension, the engine and the tranny, rewiring, adding A/C, painting, and installing a new interior (possibly with bucket seats).

Any advise from those of you that have been down this path would be greatly appreciated.
    Will

The most important part of your plan is the budget and timeline. Do it carefully and put it where you can find it later. Then, when it has taken four times as long and cost three times as much, you'll have a rue smile at its' naivete.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Do all the mechanical first so that you're not working around fresh paint. Body and paint work would be next and then upholstery. Any modifications should be mocked up and perfected prior to completing work in that area. Don't make yourself do it twice because you got in a hurry and had to do a redo.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thanks Guys, I appreciate any and all advise.
        Time I got, budget always on my mind. I have started the mechanicals I have upgraded the brakes, installed new leaf springs, shocks and radiator, replaced all the carb, the hoses and belts. Looking at the front suspension now and the fuel system.

Comment

Above all else keep the car running and drivable. When you have to repair or rebuild something. Get the car back on the road in a reasonable time.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
            Above all else keep the car running and drivable. When you have to repair or rebuild something. Get the car back on the road in a reasonable time.
            I have plenty of Hawk parts including new engine & brake rebuild parts. Several Hawk parts car on site..

Comment

Working...
            X