Sticky steering wheel: 1953 C-Cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky steering wheel: 1953 C-Cab

I don't know if it is a usual condition to these wheels or something particular to mine and the finish. It is worn, a few cracks... but whenever it is wet, humid or moist outside, the wheel becomes sticky and leaves a dull black grime on my hands. Is this usual, and if so, is there a fix ?

I've seen steering wheels do that, including a couple of my newer cars. I'd start by giving it a good wash using warn soapy water and a wash cloth. That fixes mine most of the time.

Comment

Have noted that happening with the old trucks and tractors on the farm when I was growing up and also on 80s vintage fords I have owned (when they were not so vintage either). If soap/water washing does not help, give them a good rub down with a rag saturated in windex. You will be surprised what crud comes off.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Our 55 E-7 does that also and getting better after each time I wash it as others have suggested . A friend gave me a pack of mechanic wipes to use on it so that has helped quite a bit also and they are handy to have in the glove box . Ed

Comment

If you use a soft brush with most any cleaning solution, I like Windex, and scrub that wheel it should clean up. After brushing, wipe it down with the Windex and a soft towel or paper towel. I once bought a car with a worn red steering wheel. The spokes were still red but the wheel was worn to black. After scrubbing it, the wheel was all red and in pretty nice shape for being 50 some years old.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I think it is just the buildup of Dirt, Oil, Grease, Skin Oil baked on the plastic for YEARS, so it WILL clean up.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I used gasoline on a rag to get the crud from a couple of my steering wheels.
              If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
              61 V8 Tcab
              63 Tcab 20R powered
              55 Commander Wagon
              54 Champion Wagon
              46 Gibson Model A
              50 JD MC
              45 Agricat
              67 Triumph T100
              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

I have the same problem with my 2002 F150. I'll have to try out the suggestions made here.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                X