Parting out hulk of '61 Hawk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parting out hulk of '61 Hawk.

Well, it was there. And I moved it to do some mowing, and realized it doesn't need to be there, as it's a moldering hulk. So it's getting rendered down for its parts. Entire front body clip, and glass were all gone when I got it, and the 4 speed and shifter gone, too. I got the 289 out of it, and did run it briefly, and it developed oil pressure. So, a rebuildable core, for sure.

Took the doors off yesterday, and I think they can be restored and used, if needed. Pulled the dash and steering column. All the instruments were vandalized, but the dash overlay is pretty good. Switches were all toast save for maybe the wiper switch. Somebody here may need the steering column jacket with the smooth collar?

Front seat frames were rusted through, but I torched out the recliner mechanisms to save them. There might be some usable internal parts there. I will try today to salvage the little remaining chrome off the car, and pull the body off the frame. Trunk lid and rear quarters are rusted real bad, and floors are shot.

I could cut the shifter opening out of the transmission tunnel if anybody wants that. I don't have the cap for it, though.

Any of you want something off it, PM me. Thanks.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Hi gordr, I'm looking for the overlay on the glove box, if it's in decent shape. Thanks. I couldn't figure out how to PM from my phone.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Sorry, my first post should have read pm from phone. Couldn't seem to edit.
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Do you have the temp gauge? I could use it even ig the lens is broken! As you may be able to tell, I'm getting desperate! P/M me.-Jim

Comment

Glove box door is gone, but I think I have an overlay from another Hawk here. Let me look tomorrow. Temperature gauge was really smashed; dial face and pointer too. But I may have another.

Comment

PM sent
            JT

Comment

jrlemke, I have an old temp gauge that may work for you. My original gauges were all broken, and the speedometer was missing, so I replaced them all with non OEM. Here's a photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180317_100150.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1721213

Comment

OK, I found a temperature gauge; came from a '59 Hawk dash. Glass is good, a little rust on the chrome bezel, but careful work with some 600 grit paper would likely make it shine. I hooked it up to a 12 volt battery and a temp sending unit, and applied a propane torch to the sending unit in the vise. Gauge went up to 180, so I assume it works OK. Ten dollars plus postage.

Also found and removed a glove box overlay from the same car. The stainless steel bezel around the lock opening is a toughie to get off, but I slit it in numerous places on the backs side, bent up the resulting tabs, and got it out, and I think it can be reused. The overlay is decent, but far from perfect, and being as it's from a Canadian car, has the holes for the Maple Leak emblem in the lower right. I can find you one of those, too, or perhaps some other badge or maybe a "built for" plate could be placed to cover the holes?

Comment

Gord, I'll take the gauge! P/M me with the total price. Jim

Comment

Would like to know what condition the frame is in and a price your looking for ? Rick

Comment

I have a friend locally who needs a frame. Have yet to run it by him. But I have a '59 frame, too. This one needs a good cleaning and scraping to get all the undercoat off it. Only rust I have seen, so far, is the bottom plate on one rail where the batwing was bolted on. But I haven't gone over thoroughly.

Comment

PM sent on the steering column collar
                        Don Watson
                        61 Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Crusty Rusty View Post
                          Would like to know what condition the frame is in and a price your looking for ? Rick
                          Checked with my friend, and he is no longer wanting a frame, so if you want it, you have a clear shot. I will give it a good looking-over tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

Comment

Did some more disassembly on the hawk frame today. Rear axle out, rear springs and shackles off. Had to use the cutting torch on only one of the front shackle bolts; the rest undid, in some fashion. Rear axle is a model 27, 3.07 ratio, with Twin Traction. I doubt it was original to the car. and the rear brakes were 9" units, to fit '53 and prior, and thus aren't "native" to the Twin Traction axle, either. Previous owner was obviously robbing parts off this car to make others good, and that is OK by me.

I am not going to do any actual repairs to this frame, unless somebody wants it, and wants it fixed up. But I will strip the front suspension off it, and those parts appear to be mostly good, save for deteriorated rubber A-arm bushings.

Comment

Rather odd that it had a 4 spd and a type 27? I have an odd request: did it have bucket seats? I have had a 61 Hawk since 1970. I t is my all time favorite car but longer trips are hard on the backside cause the original owner was a bit beefy and broke 3 springs. Those nice bucket seats are a 1 year only and I have never had much luck finding a good seat bottom. You wouldn't have 3 bottom springs in usable condition, would you?

Comment

Working...
                              X