Mecum Auction in Portland, OR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mecum Auction in Portland, OR

I haven't seen mention of the Mecum Auction this weekend in Portland, OR. I noticed an excellent and stock appearing 1955 E7 (V8 pickup). It sold for $15K.
    Last edited by studegary; 06-24-2018, 07:24 PM. Reason: added missing l and corrected year
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Gary just hit a typo, as we all know 1955 was the first year for V8s in pickups, designated E7.

It's an exceptionally nice truck and with 3-speed overdrive, making it the best driver of all early trucks. Then, just to show we're paying attention, albiet with a few not-quite-original nits; Optima battery, engine and bumpers painted body color, two non-stock taillights.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 06-24-2018, 08:11 AM.
    PackardV8

Comment

I watched it go across the block and it was beautiful. I figured with truck prices what they have been the past few years it would easily sell for between $20K and $25K as I have seen similar trucks go for that. I was very surprised that the buyer got it for $15K. He/She got a great deal on a fabulous truck. The commentators had some very nice things to say about Studebaker trucks and Studebakers in general.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

With the 10 percent Mecum charges both buyer and seller, they are making 20 percent off every vehicle that changes hands, via their auctions. I will stick to fleabay. Much cheaper, much wider target audience, and won't have to worry about whether the auction assistants know how to open the hood, or not. (As they could not open the 56J's hood that went across the block in Indi a few months ago.)

Comment

I got a kick when the commentator said with a Studebaker you have to know a buddy who knows a buddy that knows a buddy that might have the part you're looking for. How right he was!

Comment

Originally posted by willys54 View Post
            I got a kick when the commentator said with a Studebaker you have to know a buddy who knows a buddy that knows a buddy that might have the part you're looking for. How right he was!
            With a commentator making comments like that, and assistant staff who cannot even open a Studebaker hood, is Mecum a good venue for owners to use, in trying to sell their Studebakers??? As a buyer in the stands, would those issues build your confidence or interest in Studebaker???
            I believe, in either of those cases, the sellers should be entitled to exemption from Mecum auction fees.

Comment

The commentators drove me nut's when they kept mis-pronouncing Tonneau cover as "Toonew" cover and Willys Jeep as "Willis" Jeep. Brought me back to the '80's sitcom "Different Strokes" star Gary Coleman's famous line ..............."What up Willis?"

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                With a commentator making comments like that, and assistant staff who cannot even open a Studebaker hood, is Mecum a good venue for owners to use, in trying to sell their Studebakers??? As a buyer in the stands, would those issues build your confidence or interest in Studebaker???
                I believe, in either of those cases, the sellers should be entitled to exemption from Mecum auction fees.
                I am pretty sure that the bidders in the room do not hear the comments made by the TV on-air people.
                I do not believe that it is a good venue to sell most Studebakers because the general public (Chevrolet oriented), that makes up the bidders there, has little knowledge of or interest in Studebakers. There are some exceptions, such as Golden Hawks and supercharged Avantis.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by willys54 View Post
                  The commentators drove me nut's when they kept mis-pronouncing Tonneau cover as "Toonew" cover and Willys Jeep as "Willis" Jeep. Brought me back to the '80's sitcom "Different Strokes" star Gary Coleman's famous line ..............."What up Willis?"
                  I agree. This "new", to me, way to pronounce Willys bothers me. I have heard justification of the new way being "correct", but it is not the way that I remember it from decades ago.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

$15K for that truck isn't a bad deal. I might trade my Avanti for a V8 C-Cab that nice.

Comment

I agree Gary. If I had a dime for every Tri-Five Chevy I've seen run across the Block or at Shows I'd be a Millionaire. That's what draws me to Studes & Willys.............Something different for a change!

Comment

Working...
                      X