Trouble matching gray interior trim paint - 1955 President State Hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble matching gray interior trim paint - 1955 President State Hardtop

I have a 1955 President State Hardtop and I'm rebuilding the steering column. I have NOS steering post brackets and housings that I need to paint to match the steering column and window trim. I also am repainting the turn signal and shifter as they were rusty and flaking. The color is a silverish gray that I can't quite match with any off the shelf spray paint. Does anyone know what Studebaker called the color, and what the paint codes are? Has anyone found a good automotive touch up color (like Dupli-color?) that matches it? I have attached a couple pictures below of the original gray window trim molding and steering post shifter housing (the shifter housing is a little dirty after 64 years).

I don't know if it is of any help, but these are the paint codes for the car:
    Paint No: 2594 Pima Sonora
    Trim No: 8141 GG Vinyl

Thanks in advance for any help!

Has your window trim been repainted?
    It sure looks nice and it might be a good match to the gray paint on my 1950 dash and window trim.
    I think whomever comes up with a good match is set to make a fortune.
    The paint code seems to be a deeper secret than the meaning of life.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
      Has your window trim been repainted?
      It sure looks nice and it might be a good match to the gray paint on my 1950 dash and window trim.
      I think whomever comes up with a good match is set to make a fortune.
      The paint code seems to be a deeper secret than the meaning of life.
      No, the window trim has never been repainted. The car has been garaged its entire life and the interior is remarkably preserved. Hence my desire to preserve it during this service work. There was a lot of slop in the shifting and the rebuild was unavoidable. I had the gearbox rebuilt by Lares as well.

I though I was just missing some obvious information, didn't realize it was a hard color code to crack...

Comment

You should be able to take a piece of the trim into any good automotive paint store and get it either computer matched or eye matched. Either method is good and should provide the correct color. If you have it computer matched, it will provide a formula for future needs.
        I have heard this color called Graeige.......a combination of gray and beige.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Take some window trim or other part to a good auto paint store/ auto body shop supply and they can match it. If you don't have a spray gun, pick up a Preval sprayer at a big box store. They are cheap.

Believe it or not, I once saw a guy lay down a beautiful paint job on a Champion dashboard using a Flit gun.

JT

Comment

I drove my 50 Champion to the auto paint store and he couldn't come close to even getting a reading with his scanner. I might have to try another store, but it does seem to be a mystery. I do know at least for the 1950, they had a silver gray look and a brownish gray look, so not all are the same. I don't know if that still applies to your 1955, but your window trim sure looks close to my dash.

Comment

thunderations types faster.

Comment

Try calling Studebaker International. I seem to recall they had that color in stock.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I don’t know how many different colors there were for 50 Champion dash and window trim but I found a perfect match for my 50 Champion at Home Depot. Rustoleum Bright Coat, Metallic Finish, #7713 Dark Bronze. Worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                    I don’t know how many different colors there were for 50 Champion dash and window trim but I found a perfect match for my 50 Champion at Home Depot. Rustoleum Bright Coat, Metallic Finish, #7713 Dark Bronze. Worth a look.
                    I tried that but it didn't match my dash. Sounds like it might come closer to matching the brownish tint dash.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                      Try calling Studebaker International. I seem to recall they had that color in stock.
                      Studebaker International has "Loma Gray" in stock, but that is more of a browninsh tint. This is a semi-metallic gray/silver that seems like it should be easy to match in theory but I've had trouble in practice - I walked the aisle of Lowe's and Home Depot.

I have thought about having a local paint place color match it but can they make spray paint cans? I don't want to paint brush it and don't have a spray booth setup for mixing my own colors.

Comment

Originally posted by 4spd_hawkman View Post
                        Studebaker International has "Loma Gray" in stock, but that is more of a browninsh tint. This is a semi-metallic gray/silver that seems like it should be easy to match in theory but I've had trouble in practice - I walked the aisle of Lowe's and Home Depot.

I have thought about having a local paint place color match it but can they make spray paint cans? I don't want to paint brush it and don't have a spray booth setup for mixing my own colors.
                        Luke,
                        I found a local auto parts store that will do that. I had them color match the re-spray yellow on my Sedan and they made up a can of spray paint for me. Many places will only do this if you buy a minimum number of cans, however, this place will do single cans and charged $22.00.
                        The place I use is called Mac Auto Supply in McMinnville, Oregon. If you call them them they might know of a store in your area that will do the same. Their phone number is 1-503-472-5133.
                        Good luck.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Just "Google" Loma Gray and you find several posts on this subject or put Loma Gray in the search box on this page

Comment

The color in Luke's post is not Loma Gray.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                              The color in Luke's post is not Loma Gray.
                              I realize that but these discussions are about interior colors.
                              Some posts give paint formulas or suggestions on the interior paint other than Loma Gray.

Comment

Working...
                              X