Unsolicited Testimomial: Fairborn Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsolicited Testimomial: Fairborn Studebaker

Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker is my kind of guy....
    We chatted briefly a couple days ago (both of us maxed out doing Stude stuff)....
    POW! My stuff showed up today via USPS Priority Mail.
    Thanks, Phil!

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Phil is the Best! The Studebaker Pertronix Electronic Ignition King and all things Studebaker.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Phil has helped me on several occasions either with that special part or a word of advice. Appreciate knowing he there when I need him...Mike
      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Well, his website is poor advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
          Well, his website is poor advertising.
          It does say: "Site under Construction". All ya gotta do is Call, it's called a Telephone!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            It does say: "Site under Construction". All ya gotta do is Call, it's called a Telephone!
            Probably not going to happen. Unless I can't find what I want somewhere else I'm not going to call to find out stuff. I'd rather get it somewhere else.

Reasons are as follows

I understand "Under Construction" as I have built websites for companies before, but that is a woeful excuse. I have visited that site many times, like other Studebaker vendors, before, and I find it hard to believe they can drag out such construction. It was up before and it was lacking in many areas but build the new one before taking down the old one.

In this day and age websites generate income and to call someone is not usually the first on the list of how to purchase a product. If I have to call what is the use of a website? Going to a website to find products, specifications, materials, etc... is what is done. Calling is a last resort. As I mentioned I have bought products from Phil before but I have consistently gone to the website when someone mentions it and have been disappointed at it's content. Defend it all you want but it doesnt change the facts.

As long as we are on this subject of websites the new owners of Studebaker International better get their stuff together as when I visit their site on my phone to search for products its a pain in the ass as it kicks me back to the start of searching. Some vendors of older products, like our Studebakers, think it's ok for technology to be quirky or not responsive and use that as an excuse for them not getting it together. I will not call someone just because they don't have their website working. It just lets me know they either don't care, they are not competent , or that they should have stuck to print advertising. Go ahead and defend them and it will all pass away with time.

I just don't get it, the Fairborn site has been useless for years. They have many products, but try to find any, even when I bought stuff it was a pain to find anything and the majority of what was available was not listed. It's not rocket science. This is not a reflection on Phil's cooperation or pleasantness as a vendor but the site is not what I would send a link for people to go to. Just give them a phone number. It might be better to just have a page with instruction to send a postage paid self addressed envelope for a printed list of products. At least I would know what is available. Even Silvertone has a list and prices, crude but at least it get one in the door. I have contacted Don and although it was not exactly the way I wanted to find out about what he could do it was a start.

Basically cold calling and saying what do you have for sale, or do you have this or that, is not my idea of finding parts for my car. Not enough time for that. I would like to know what one has and the price and go from there.

It would be nice to go back in time to a simpler day and age but it aint gonna happen. Doing business over the internet is here and one has to get with the program.

I hope all goes well with Phil, he get it up and running and makes money while supplying us with quality products. This was just my personal opinion of the website and how some vendors think they are doing business.

As far as the new SI website experience on cell phones it was working when Ed was owner but some people want to reinvent the wheel.

And if someone designs a website that is not compatible with mobile browsing then they shouldn't be doing it. (I could go on but who cares, really)

Your experience may be different.

Len

Comment

Probably not going to happen. Unless I can't find what I want somewhere else I'm not going to call to find out stuff. I'd rather get it somewhere else.

Reasons are as follows

I understand "Under Construction" as I have built websites for companies before, but that is a woeful excuse. I have visited that site many times, like other Studebaker vendors, before, and I find it hard to believe they can drag out such construction. It was up before and it was lacking in many areas but build the new one before taking down the old one.

In this day and age websites generate income and to call someone is not usually the first on the list of how to purchase a product. If I have to call what is the use of a website? Going to a website to find products, specifications, materials, etc... is what is done. Calling is a last resort. As I mentioned I have bought products from Phil before but I have consistently gone to the website when someone mentions it and have been disappointed at it's content. Defend it all you want but it doesnt change the facts.

As long as we are on this subject of websites the new owners of Studebaker International better get their stuff together as when I visit their site on my phone to search for products its a pain in the ass as it kicks me back to the start of searching. Some vendors of older products, like our Studebakers, think it's ok for technology to be quirky or not responsive and use that as an excuse for them not getting it together. I will not call someone just because they don't have their website working. It just lets me know they either don't care, they are not competent , or that they should have stuck to print advertising. Go ahead and defend them and it will all pass away with time.

I just don't get it, the Fairborn site has been useless for years. They have many products, but try to find any, even when I bought stuff it was a pain to find anything and the majority of what was available was not listed. It's not rocket science. This is not a reflection on Phil's cooperation or pleasantness as a vendor but the site is not what I would send a link for people to go to. Just give them a phone number. It might be better to just have a page with instruction to send a postage paid self addressed envelope for a printed list of products. At least I would know what is available. Even Silvertone has a list and prices, crude but at least it get one in the door. I have contacted Don and although it was not exactly the way I wanted to find out about what he could do it was a start.

Basically cold calling and saying what do you have for sale, or do you have this or that, is not my idea of finding parts for my car. Not enough time for that. I would like to know what one has and the price and go from there.

It would be nice to go back in time to a simpler day and age but it aint gonna happen. Doing business over the internet is here and one has to get with the program.

I hope all goes well with Phil, he get it up and running and makes money while supplying us with quality products. This was just my personal opinion of the website and how some vendors think they are doing business.

As far as the new SI website experience on cell phones it was working when Ed was owner but some people want to reinvent the wheel.

And if someone designs a website that is not compatible with mobile browsing then they shouldn't be doing it. (I could go on but who cares, really)

Len
              I don't mess with web sites. I just call with the part number. By the way, Phil does have good candy at his vending table. The new owners of SI are busy moving the inventory out of South Bend and relocating. Give them a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
                I don't mess with web sites. I just call with the part number. By the way, Phil does have good candy at his vending table. The new owners of SI are busy moving the inventory out of South Bend and relocating. Give them a chance.
                Something I did not know. Lately, much of my time has been consumed between my Mom (97) at her nursing home, my wife, (Dr. visits), and chores in my own backyard garden. So, I have not been able to keep up with the "latest" news. So what are the SI plans, where are they moving? I heard that after the SASCO purchase, and the move from the old facilities, that rent for the warehouse space was enormous. Just curious.

As for Fairborne...I enjoy my brief fellowship opportunities with Phil and always try to make a point of visiting with him at meets we both attend. In my opinion, a great guy.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Reasons are as follows

Len
                  Holy crap, I'm sorry you are so aggravated but your displeasure with some websites doesn't warrant a rant. A phone call to a vendor actually helps to aquaint you with said vendor sometimes making a pleasurable informative experience that some would rather have than not. The fellow want's peoples business otherwise he wouldn't be a gabbin' with you over the phone. Selling Studebaker parts is not a highly lucrative business and our vendors are first hand dedicated to the marque else they wouldn't be taking your hard earned money. Give them a break or perhaps offer your services. cheers jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I appreciate a great working web site as well as anyone else. However, many of our great vendors are single person operations with the owner is taking care of business, not seating in front of a monitor. We survive on these vendors. When I started in this hobby the operative method of getting parts pricing was to write a list and send it to a vendor with a self address stamped envelope. (SASE).
                    Perry
                    \'50 Business Champion
                    \'50 Starlight Champion
                    \'60 Lark Convertible,
                    \'63 GT R1,
                    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Reasons are as follows

Len
                      Man! You keep talking about time. You just wasted 10 minutes of my time.
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Dang, this thread took an interesting turn. It went from thanks to a critique on business methodology. IMH 75YO opinion, we a dang lucky to have the suppliers that offer the variety of parts we do. Most of them are in their dotage and have certain ways of doing business, the one thing I know is - I can get parts. If it take a bit of discovery then so be it.

I'd rather have a supplier that knows what he has and how to install it than a bunch of wiz kids building the greatest website ever created. The pros even have trouble just go to a Big Three website and try to build a new truck then talk to a dealer about the options available. It becomes a whole different world and I can go on about other "high end" sites I visit.

Bottom line, Thanks to our suppliers - you may have warts but thanks for keeping us in parts.

Bob

Comment

I am a small vendor and do not have a website because in my large inventory I have sometimes only one piece of a certain part number and also have a lot of parts without numbers.
                          I am old and slow I always tell my customers and it may take awhile to locate an item.
                          I have considered publishing a list of items I stock just by part numbers.
                          I try to specialize in prewar parts but have mostly postwar parts.
                          Lately I have been experimenting with text messages to my phone.
                          I tell my steady customers to just text me a part number (one or two at the time)
                          Just only a part number and I will text back the price and availability.
                          I bought 29 Studebaker dealer inventories over the last 50 years mainly to keep these parts from being scrapped.
                          My total overhead on my 38.000 sq/ft warehouse is more than I sell on parts in a year but I enjoy doing it and seeing these beautiful cars restored.
                          At 81 years old it kept my mind going and I enjoy the visits from people that come over to visit and buy parts.
                          My son and daughter set up my inventory program on FileMaker on my Mac.
                          I know nothing about computers else than click on this and this.
                          My friend Paul comes over to help me find and send out parts.
                          Robert Kapteyn
                          815 212 2389 text

Comment

Sorry if I waisted anyone's time. I just didnt like following the link, again, and finding the same (one part). Im not saying anything against Phil, I'm sure I made that clear. I also understand that a one-man opperation can be a tough gig.

I dont want to go over it all again.

I delt with Robert Kapteyn just this past week. No website. I emailed him, like he advised and all went well.

I'm not against other means of doing business just don't like talking over the phone to find out details after the vendor has a website that could have listed it. I find it more succinct when it's written down.

It's the same when anyone here refers a new comer to get the parts and shop manual. One doesn't have to explain the majority of things once the manuals are in hand.

Again, sorry Jeff, the original poster, for taking this thread in this direction. My rant for the year, I hope, over.

Len

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                              Man! You keep talking about time. You just wasted 10 minutes of my time.
                              You read that?
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X