Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 Studebaker Champion: Can I convert it to a 4-speed manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Studebaker Champion: Can I convert it to a 4-speed manual?

Hello,

I recently bought my first Studebaker. It is a 1955 Champion with an automatic transmission.
    Would it be possible to install a 4 speed manual transmission on it.
    It has a Chevy 283 V8.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-STUD CHAMP

The Chevy transmission, bell housing, flywheel and associated parts are dirt common and actually less expensive than in the past, because most today are going to automatics or 5-speeds.

The Studebaker clutch pedal and linkage is also easy to find, as they're all pretty much the same up through the end. (Now that I think of it, I may have a take-out from a '64 GT 4-speed. I'll look for it.)

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I'm partial to a 3-speed with overdrive myself. I think it gives more flexibility. Second Over is awesome!
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Here is a video of the car. Thanks for the replies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSM7E1kARPs

Comment

Great video. If you do decide to convert to a 4-speed, the bell housing, swing pedals and inside the bell housing clutch parts are straight forward. The parts you need to be sure you find because you have an SBC are the Z-bar setup including the ball mounts for the frame and engine. I'm not sure they are readily available but be sure you have them before you proceed.

If you can't find them, it would be easier to convert to a five speed from a GM car and use a hydraulic clutch or hydraulic throw out bearing setup.

Bob

Comment

That is one sweet sedan Farmer Bob. I would like to see what kind of rear mount you have there. The easiest way to do what you ask is to remove the wide rubber plate between the 2 pedals. Put 2 small round plates on the pedals. Put another master cylinder along side the one in there now, by running longer bolts through both of them. Using a Chev. hydro-formed bell housing with the Chrysler hydraulic clutch plate on the side. Cheap and easy to put a 5 speed in later.

Comment

That is a nice sedan indeed. Good luck with the switch to a manual tranny. You're going to enjoy it a lot.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Awesome video...and I don't think you'll regret going to a manual trans. My car has a 283 sbc and I replaced the auto with a t-5 with from a 3rd generation Camaro/Firebird. Picked up the running car for 500$, robbed the trans, bellhousing, clutch etc and sold the bones for 300$ to a trans-am collector. Best bang for the buck I ever spent on my Stude. That extra gear is so nice for highway driving. Cheers, junior
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

While doing all that work, why not swap to a 5 speed manual that would give you OD for highway use. Might be easier to find a 5 speed in a wrecking yard then a 4 speed.
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                  X