No announcement yet.

Installing power steering on a '54 V8.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing power steering on a '54 V8.

I'm considering installing power steering from a '54 LC to a '54 LC without it. That set-up is still installed in the donor car.

I also have the power steering set-up (including complete steering column) from a '56 GH available. This set-up is already out of the GH. I have the complete steering column from the GH.

Which one do I want to install? And what do I need to know before I do it? If it requires removing the engine, I'll just toughen up my muscles and forget it.

TIA

John

The 56 Hawk column is different, use the LC unit. It's possible to do with the engine in, not fun, but doable.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 wagon
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

The 56 Hawk column is different, use the LC unit. It's possible to do with the engine in, not fun, but doable.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Lark 2 door
      57 wagon
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I would swap the '54 to the '54; no alterations needed. Start with the front crank center bolt and pulleys and swap everything up to the steering wheel, including the column floor seal; also shift linkages. Make note of the spacers between the frame and the steering box.

You should be able to do it without removing the engine.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I would swap the '54 to the '54; no alterations needed. Start with the front crank center bolt and pulleys and swap everything up to the steering wheel, including the column floor seal; also shift linkages. Make note of the spacers between the frame and the steering box.

You should be able to do it without removing the engine.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I installed the correct Saginaw (like your LC) on a 55 Coupe with manual steering. Twas an interesting project. I'd do it again, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to someone else.

Rockne10's and JDP's comments are correct. The spacers are not so important with the Saginaw unit, as it is bolted to a bracket that bolts to the frame (where the spacers are). The holes in the bracket at the pump allow plenty of room to adjust the final pump location. When you install the assembly, make the final adjustment with the coluum tight to the clamp at the dashboard and the column centered in the dashboard 'hole' (if you care). It's easy with the Saginaw setup. Also verify there is enough room for the pittman arm to travel with the drag link attached without hitting the frame.

I dunno if you can pull the Saginaw assembly with column intact out from the bottom of the car like you do the manual gear. The manual says take it all apart at the flex joint at the steering box, a fair task for the uninitiated. Pull the battery box out (this goes a lot faster if it doesn't have a battery hold-down in the way) and remove/reinstall the steering box from the top of the car.

What condition are the power steering units in? I had to completely rebuild my stuff; the guy I bought the setup from basically sold 75lbs of rust. It took nearly all the Stude suppliers out there, especially the late Stephen Allen, to come up with the needed parts (not to mention N8N and JDP). If your unit needs rebuilding, parts are getting scarce.

How are the front springs on your car? That Saginaw setup is about 80lbs, a lot more thatn the manual unit. Might want to think about new springs or spacers. My car, which is really worn out, has both AC and now PS, so I'm installing new springs and 1/2-inch spacers.

You'll want new hoses which are hard to find because of the fittings. I finally had some replicas made by an industrial supply house, dunno how they work yet.

What ever you do, do not proceed without the factory shop manual and parts book in hand.

Frank Starr
            Seattle

Comment

I installed the correct Saginaw (like your LC) on a 55 Coupe with manual steering. Twas an interesting project. I'd do it again, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to someone else.

Rockne10's and JDP's comments are correct. The spacers are not so important with the Saginaw unit, as it is bolted to a bracket that bolts to the frame (where the spacers are). The holes in the bracket at the pump allow plenty of room to adjust the final pump location. When you install the assembly, make the final adjustment with the coluum tight to the clamp at the dashboard and the column centered in the dashboard 'hole' (if you care). It's easy with the Saginaw setup. Also verify there is enough room for the pittman arm to travel with the drag link attached without hitting the frame.

I dunno if you can pull the Saginaw assembly with column intact out from the bottom of the car like you do the manual gear. The manual says take it all apart at the flex joint at the steering box, a fair task for the uninitiated. Pull the battery box out (this goes a lot faster if it doesn't have a battery hold-down in the way) and remove/reinstall the steering box from the top of the car.

What condition are the power steering units in? I had to completely rebuild my stuff; the guy I bought the setup from basically sold 75lbs of rust. It took nearly all the Stude suppliers out there, especially the late Stephen Allen, to come up with the needed parts (not to mention N8N and JDP). If your unit needs rebuilding, parts are getting scarce.

How are the front springs on your car? That Saginaw setup is about 80lbs, a lot more thatn the manual unit. Might want to think about new springs or spacers. My car, which is really worn out, has both AC and now PS, so I'm installing new springs and 1/2-inch spacers.

You'll want new hoses which are hard to find because of the fittings. I finally had some replicas made by an industrial supply house, dunno how they work yet.

What ever you do, do not proceed without the factory shop manual and parts book in hand.

Frank Starr
              Seattle

Comment

I know Rich, but the business, Stephen Allen is late. And missed.

Frank

Comment

I know Rich, but the business, Stephen Allen is late. And missed.

Frank

Comment

Frank, Steven Cade is not "late", he is just fine! It was his father Dr. Robert Cade who passed away.

That would be the "former" Steven Allen's Studebaker Parts.

But yes, we ALL miss them!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Frank, Steven Cade is not "late", he is just fine! It was his father Dr. Robert Cade who passed away.

That would be the "former" Steven Allen's Studebaker Parts.

But yes, we ALL miss them!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think I have just about decided to toughen up my muscles and leave things as they are. Some day I'll get a '64 with PS and NO drivetrain and THEN I'll do it. It'll be newer and hopefully, easier to get parts.

Thanx, guys!
                        John

Comment

I think I have just about decided to toughen up my muscles and leave things as they are. Some day I'll get a '64 with PS and NO drivetrain and THEN I'll do it. It'll be newer and hopefully, easier to get parts.

Thanx, guys!
                          John

Comment

Aw, c'mon Johnny. Why don't you start by pulling the stuff off the donor car and cleaning it up and checking it out ? That way you can get started without actually disabling your driver now. Once you've got all this painted and ready to go, it'll be sunny and warm and you be all fired up to do the rest of the job.

Don't forget the drag link and the shift linkage rods.

Do both cars have the same transmission?

Frank Starr
                            Seattle

Comment

Aw, c'mon Johnny. Why don't you start by pulling the stuff off the donor car and cleaning it up and checking it out ? That way you can get started without actually disabling your driver now. Once you've got all this painted and ready to go, it'll be sunny and warm and you be all fired up to do the rest of the job.

Don't forget the drag link and the shift linkage rods.

Do both cars have the same transmission?

Frank Starr
                              Seattle

Comment

Working...
                              X