Sunglow Gold Formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunglow Gold Formula

I went to my local PPG store today and told the clerk I wanted a quart of 1956 Studebaker Sunglow Gold Enamel. His first question was "Who made Studebakers?" That's never a good start. I brought a part with me that had decent paint and he wanted to scan it, but I wanted the formula for Ditzler 22414. He did not have 22414 in his books, so he called someone on his mother ship who told him they could not mix it. I've searched the web and the forum and RayLins pages and I do not find the formula. I'd rather not scan the sheet metal I have. Is there someone out there that has a formula?
    Thanks
    Bill
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

Originally posted by clarkwd View Post
    I went to my local PPG store today and told the clerk I wanted a quart of 1956 Studebaker Sunglow Gold Enamel. His first question was "Who made Studebakers?" That's never a good start. I brought a part with me that had decent paint and he wanted to scan it, but I wanted the formula for Ditzler 22414. He did not have 22414 in his books, so he called someone on his mother ship who told him they could not mix it. I've searched the web and the forum and RayLins pages and I do not find the formula. I'd rather not scan the sheet metal I have. Is there someone out there that has a formula?
    Thanks
    Bill
    Try Firebird "Solar gold".
    My Avanti was that colour.
    Looked good.

Comment

Paint manufacturers change their toners fairly regularly. When they do they change the formulas to the current, well used colors. This means colors like your 56 Studebaker are not updated. Complicating things now too is the use of water born enamels so in some areas, even if the toners were available for solvent based paints, they are not legal to sell due to air quality mandates. "Harry" suggests a color giving it's name. The problem there might be that Pontiac may use one name & Chevy another name for the same color. That is why it's best to have a brand's formula number to be sure.

I have a few old microfiche sheets that I use for spray outs. That enables me to spray a color, then flip it over & see how it looks with a clear coat. If it is a single stage paint then I just use it for a match comparison. Since it bends easily you are able to see the color on different contours too.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The sunglow gold on my 56gh that was done in 2010
        acrylic enamel code 21244 delstar (dar) PPG paint
        I hope this will help Bill Heston

Comment

Working...
        X