Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You thought the first Dodge wide bed did not fit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You thought the first Dodge wide bed did not fit...

Many do not like how the P2 wide bed does not exactly fit in with the Champ cab - it could be worse. Truck for sale on Craigslist shows just how bad. At least with that huge mirror you could ignore it

Last edited by 62champ; 06-19-2018, 06:59 AM.

Here is the ad:

Comment

Aside from a missing battery hold-down, it looks like it ought to buff out nicely.... BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I,m looking for a Champ, (wife doesn't know about that yet). This one is priced right, but is waaay to far from home. If it were mine, it would lose that box immediately, and end up with a new custom box, service bed, or flat bed, with under bed boxes. With a little elbow grease, it looks like it is well worth saving.
        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
          I,m looking for a Champ, (wife doesn't know about that yet). This one is priced right, but is waaay to far from home. If it were mine, it would lose that box immediately, and end up with a new custom box, service bed, or flat bed, with under bed boxes. With a little elbow grease, it looks like it is well worth saving.
          Some years ago at the Reedsville (PA) Swap Meet I saw a Champ with a Dodge Dakota bed. It fit beautifully and in my mind, was the perfect bed for a Champ. I'm pretty certain it was sold. The former owner is a long-time Forum member. He might be inclined to provide some more details about the installation.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

"If it were mine, it would lose that box immediately, and end up with a new custom box, service bed, or flat bed, with under bed boxes."

I built my custom Ford truck in 1993, and the flat bed has been very versatile. The removable side rails give you some convenient options for loading, such as putting heavy stuff to the front with a fork lift. The wire shelving is great for the side rails, gives you lots of options to tie things down. The deck is 3/4 inch Baltic birch, 13 plies and no voids in the core- very tough stuff, has held up well to 25 years of abuse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fORD  side rails.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1721117 Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford short box.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1721118
            Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
            See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
              Some years ago at the Reedsville (PA) Swap Meet I saw a Champ with a Dodge Dakota bed. It fit beautifully and in my mind, was the perfect bed for a Champ. I'm pretty certain it was sold. The former owner is a long-time Forum member. He might be inclined to provide some more details about the installation.
              I remember seeing that same truck. That bed was a great fit. The truck was blue. cheers jimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I like the Ford Ranger stepside bed on the Champs. Don't think I have seen a Champ with a Dakota bed.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                  I'd love to see that. Any pictures? Was it the stepside or fleetside design?
                  Mike Davis
                  1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Goes perfectly on THAT truck, imho!

Comment

With a large 3D printer, one could produce a new bed for a Champ that would actually look proper, designed as it should have been by Studebaker with their Lark profits back in the day. But, making the bed look proper would take away from its wonderful quirkiness.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

That truck is not too far from me. I thought about going to check it out for parts for the Champ that I have had my eye on for some time now. It looks like I finally may be able to get the one I want. The ad says the engine turns free, but then the one I want has an inline six and I like inline sixes. The one in the ad is obviously a 3/4 ton so I guess none of the chassis parts would be of use to me. Oh well.
                        thom

Comment

Originally posted by thom View Post
                          That truck is not too far from me. I thought about going to check it out for parts for the Champ that I have had my eye on for some time now. It looks like I finally may be able to get the one I want. The ad says the engine turns free, but then the one I want has an inline six and I like inline sixes. The one in the ad is obviously a 3/4 ton so I guess none of the chassis parts would be of use to me. Oh well.
                          Lot more similarities between 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton than differences. If you could pick it up for $500, you could harvest all the parts you need and then part out the rest. If it is a staight 3 spd, it might have a 4.10 rear that people are constantly looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                            I'd love to see that. Any pictures? Was it the stepside or fleetside design?
                            Fleetside type cheers jimmijim
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Never could see why Studebaker went though all the trouble and expense of buying that box when they had one in house the whole time.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X