'65 Daytona Dana 44 Axle Bearing Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: '65 Daytona Dana 44 Axle Bearing Replacement

I bought a 65 Daytona Sport Coupe that was archived since '99. The previous owner actually left a list of things that needed tended to in the console. I got the car running easily and have driven it around town just to work out the bugs. I fixed everything that rattled and now that it is a bit quieter and there are a few miles on it one thing on the list is a concern, "check drivers side rear wheel bearing". It is starting to make noise. I want to replace both sides as long as I have it apart. What do I need to buy and from who? It seems S.I. has the parts but I want to make sure I order the correct parts.

JK

The 'Special" Axle Seals are NLA, you will have to search "Other" vendors for those, if it is a Late enough '65 to have Flanged Axles.

Look for a Axle end with a Nut or NOT, behind a Rear Wheel Cover.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich,

I have had the rear wheels and drums off to inspect the brakes, it has flanged axles. So are seals "unobtainable"?

JK

Comment

What about the CR13165 seal. They came out around mid 90's, fit my 44 axle, still available...
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I see "National" still lists the seal on their web site so no need to panic tonight. I will go to the local parts store tomorrow.

JK

Comment

64V,

Is it a "flanged axle" ?

JK

Comment

Well, you are looking at the and of it does it have a Nut or not?
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If parts become a problem and it is a flanged Dana 44, look at Jeep or Off-road parts suppliers from around that year. On my 74 Avanti, I found the International Scout II Dana 44 axle bearing rebuild kit was a direct fit. One difference before my 74 was axle spline count. Make sure you know your spline count and axle diameter when you start looking.

Bob

Comment

So all that said, inner seals are available from S.I. and others. Bearings are available from S.I. and if I have the numbers I am sure they can be found elsewhere as well. The key it seems are the "outer" seals. This is a factory flanged axle housing. Is there an outer seal available or not?

JK

Comment

Stephen Allen's has the outer seals. Along with everything else.

Comment

Matt,

Thanks for the info.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                        64V,

Is it a "flanged axle" ?

JK
                        Yes, flanged
                        64 GT Hawk (K7)
                        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

National seal#40769s is still available.

Comment

Is there a diagram of parts for the dana 44 ? Replacing wheel bearing l~h and am having trouble getting axle fully seated into carier and or housing. 65 DAYTONA SUPER SPORT COUPE

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Scott!
                              I am always glad to have another Pacific Northwest "Member" on board. You should have a Local SDC Chapter, maybe close enough.

Your issue is probably because your Daytona has the Optional "TT", Twin Traction, Limited Slip Differential.

They have a Tiny little "Thrust Block", Picture 1002-11, Part Number 1544810 (for the Model 44 Axle) on V8's, that connects with the Inboard end of each Axle used as a Spacer.

The problem is, you will have to shine a bright small light inside and see if it has fallen down in the Axle Tube and re-insert it into the Carrier before you damage it trying install the Axle.

Do you have a Flanged Axle in your '65 or a Tapered Axle with a Nut on the end?

To more directly answer your Question, YES you really do need the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog, on '65/'66 Models, the Chassis Parts are Combined with the Body Parts Catalog, in addition to the '65/'66 Studebaker Shop Manual to get really good Maintenance/Repair/Restoration Help Instructions and Photos.

FYI: I think you have a '65 Daytona Sports Sedan, a 2 Door Post SEDAN.
                              No Super, No Sport, No Coupe.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 12-17-2020, 03:08 PM.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X