Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How brave are you, how deep are your pockets, how loving is your wife???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How brave are you, how deep are your pockets, how loving is your wife???

So how does an Avanti with serial number R4779 become a 1964 model? Just like the turquoise one that was on eBay about two weeks ago --- someone went to a lot of trouble to make another '63 into a square headlight model.

Tom

Comment

I like how they flipped the car over and took pictures of the undercarriage.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by tomlewis View Post
        So how does an Avanti with serial number R4779 become a 1964 model? Just like the turquoise one that was on eBay about two weeks ago --- someone went to a lot of trouble to make another '63 into a square headlight model.

Tom
        Quite easy. Per Studebaker Service Letter G-1964-3, dated Sept. 27, 1963, "...effective September 1, 1963...all new and unused Avanti models when first sold at retail... will carry the registration year designation of 1964." Since the car in question wasn't built until July 1963, during the transition period, it likely wasn't sold new until it could become a 1964.

For the other part, square headlight replacement panels, for accident damage, were available when round headlight panels were not available.
        Last edited by studegary; 06-14-2018, 05:52 PM. Reason: forgot to close quotes and separated two items
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This one is CADILLAC powered!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

"No attempt will be made to start it and we do not know what it needs to get running".-------------Spark plug wires would be a good start!

Comment

Is there any chance this could be the Avanti converted to Cadillac power by the Granatellis back in the '60s?
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The front license plate is on upside down. That kills it for me. More work than I want to get into.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  Is there any chance this could be the Avanti converted to Cadillac power by the Granatellis back in the '60s?
                  Pretty sure that the Granatelli car is currently undergoing restoration,and is close to being completed.Also think the Granatelli car had a period (64-67) Cadillac 429 in it.
                  Last edited by Avanti Fanatic; 06-14-2018, 05:32 AM.

Comment

"How brave are you" is right, you'd be traveling to a 3rd world country (LA. Ca) to get it.

Comment

I always thought the Granatelli conversion was a Big Block Oldsmobile (425/455cid).
                      Please confirm.
                      Bill

Comment

Judy said she was OK with the 74 when we dragged it home so I think she'd be fine with this one. A lot less work as the underside of this one as it looks in good nick. I'll bet this one doesn't smell like cigarette smoke, mold and mothballs like the 74 did also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0727.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1721075 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0743.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1721076

Just not enough time anymore. Bob

Comment

I'm not that brave. My pockets are shallow, ( after my Hawk build). And my wife is not very loving, ( at least not when it comes to cars). I think it would be a fun project though, for someone brave, with deep pockets, and a loving wife!
                          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                            I always thought the Granatelli conversion was a Big Block Oldsmobile (425/455cid).
                            Please confirm. Bill
                            Hi, Bill,

Different cars. The Olds 425" was also a SoCal car, featured in the Hot Rod Magazine Engine Swapping Annual.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                              Please confirm.
                              Bill
                              I recently purchased a 1964 Avanti with a 429 V8 Cadillac engine. The exterior color is gold and it has gold Recaro seats. I am led to believe it was owned by Joe Granatelli and am in the process of restoring the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X