Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Adjust the Steering Wheel from 1 o'clock to 12 o'clock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Adjust the Steering Wheel from 1 o'clock to 12 o'clock?

As long as I'm under the car changing the oil, I might as well turn the tie rod adjustments to move the steering wheel from the 1 o'clock position to 12 o'clock.
    Does anyone happen to know how many turns of each tie rod this will take on my 1950 Land Cruiser?
    If not, then I'll just have to turn them each one turn and take it out and drive it to see how far it moved.

I think may be easier to pull the steering wheel and move it
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Whatever you do, make sure that when you are driving straight ahead, the steering box is on it's high spot also.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Center the steering box, then center the steering wheel, then adjust the tie rod ends to get the proper alignment.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, as noted there is an ordered process involved to ensure ALL is correct, not just the orientation of the steering wheel.

Comment

Yes, I'm going to put the front on jack stands and find the middle of the travel.
            I also need to do this to grease the front end a second time and try to work the grease into all the steering parts.
            It's better, but still stiffer than it should be.
            My 1950 Champion steers as though it had power steering and was turning on ice, it's so easy.

Comment

There should be an alignment mark on the top of the steering shaft and another on the steering wheel hub to align with. Marks should be at top when gear is in center position. Lock the steering gear at that point and adjust tie rods as needed to set correct toe.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I just checked the steering wheel, which is 5 1/2 turns lock to lock. I brought it back to the center of that travel, and it's perfectly clocked at 12 noon.
                I just gave each tie rod one turn to aim each front wheel to the right. Tomorrow I'll drive it and see how close I came, and readjust as needed.
                I also see I need a new rubber boot for the joint at the pitman arm. It sure is nice when the tie rods can be turned by hand, once the clamps are loose.

Comment

I just greased the whole front end again and took it out for another test drive.

For future reference, one turn on each tie rod was the perfect adjustment to move the steering wheel from 1 o'clock to 12 noon.

Now, on to the next fix. The nice thing is I can keep it drivable while making small fixes. I guess mounting my new tires should be next.

Comment

Just a bit to add... The 'why'...

With the center point steering...

Studebaker used a steering box that has a ramp up and down..
                    Setting the steering box at the middle of the travel puts you at the top of the ramp (think the top of a hill).
                    That's the starting point. If you just move the wheel without putting the steering gear on the center (high) point...
                    Then the vehicle will steer hard one way while the sector is climbing the hill, and then steer too easy as the sector goes down the hill.
                    Makes you think the car is pulling to one side and hard to go to the other side.
                    BTDT...
                    Box first... Then the wheel (to correct any improper adjustment done before)....Then the tie rod ends to get the wheels straight (w/proper toe in).

Good comments... All apropos.
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                    X