Need 4 Metal Stems for 1950 Commander Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Need 4 Metal Stems for 1950 Commander Wheels

Does anyone know what size the hole is in 1950 Commander wheels, or know a good place to buy metal stems?
    I'll need 4 metal stems about 1 1/2" long when I install my new tires.
    Thought I better ask here first, as counter guys aren't much help these days.

Here's a set of 4 that are listed as fitting both sizes of rim holes. Has anyone tried these?

Comment

Most tire stores will have what you need and they are often less expensive than NAPA or other parts stores. Also, if you buy them from the tires store they may discount the installation cost.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I've got my own tire machine and balancer, so I do my own tire changing.
        I'll drive my Stude to the store to see what they have, as I need to warm it up to change the oil and filter anyway.

Comment

These are coming in the mail today. Shipping was fairly quick, too - only a week from China.

Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-07-2018, 12:03 PM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            I've got my own tire machine and balancer, so I do my own tire changing.
            I'll drive my Stude to the store to see what they have, as I need to warm it up to change the oil and filter anyway.
            All the ones I have bought had both size rubber gaskets.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

FYI the rims on these are not safety rims. They were designed to have tubes in them because the bead can separate from the wheel if you hit a pothole. I have never actually heard of it happening but that is why tubeless rims have the raised ring inside the bead.
              Rob

Comment

Originally posted by mapman View Post
                FYI the rims on these are not safety rims. They were designed to have tubes in them because the bead can separate from the wheel if you hit a pothole. I have never actually heard of it happening but that is why tubeless rims have the raised ring inside the bead.
                Rob
                Those raised rings in the bead area of rims were introduced by Dodge, several years after tubeless tires were common. They do help retain the tire bead and seal tubless tires, but are by no means necessary for using a tubless tire. I've run tubeless tires on 1934 Ford wheels for decades and have never had one come loose from the rim, even when deflated.

Auto Zone has metal stems for abut $3,50 a pair.

Comment

Yep, much to my surprise I bought 4 metal stems for less than $7 at AutoZone today. I drove the Land Cruiser about 22 miles to show it to my friend and stop by AutoZone to see if they had the metal stems.

As far as the rim bead, my modern car has had the world's worst radial tires, the Goodyear Regatta, and they have had ply separation and sidewall blowouts. Before I can even pull to the shoulder and stop, the radial tires are totally gone, so the rib has nothing to support anyway.

Comment

Out of curiosity, why use metal stems?
                    Dan Peterson
                    Montpelier, VT
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

3 Reasons I can think of. The rubber won't rot and crack like stock ones. The hub cap if it rotates around won't shear it off. It's chrome plated, shiny stuff that turns on pack rats and CASO's

Comment

One more reason: The $250 it cost me a couple weeks ago when one of the rubber stems that were installed when I replaced the tires on my truck a year ago broke off at 70 mph on the freeway causing the destruction of my tire.

That's why I know Auto Zone has them for $3.50 a pair. The tire shop I ended up at didn't sell metal stems; nor did the one that installed the tires a year ago.

Comment

Working...
                        X