Spacer for heavy duty fan 60 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Spacer for heavy duty fan 60 Lark

In an effort to provide better cooling at idle on my 60 Lark convertible, I ordered the heavy duty fan from SI when they had it on sale a few months ago. Apparently this is a fan used on trucks. So I'm finally getting around to installing it. When I took the standard 4 blade fan off the car, the spacer came with it, and they seem to be permanently attached, maybe just from so many years together. The new 6 blade fan didn't come with a spacer. So I have a couple of dumb questions: 1) the chassis parts catalog lists standard spacers and spacers for cars with a/c. What's the difference and does it matter which spacer is used? (The car does not have a/c) 2) do I need to use a spacer at all or can I bolt the fan directly to the hub without stressing parts that obviously I don't want to stress? 3) because of the extra heft of the 6 blader, should I be looking for a spacer from a truck? Or all all spacers the same except for width?

The typical 4 blade fan does not have a spacer made onto it. I would guess they are just rusted together. Maybe a few taps of a hammer will get the rust to give up its grip.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

The spacer is a simple way to get the fan closer to the radiator for better air draw at lower engine speeds. I was always told that where the fan is the closest (the bottom of the fans travel), you should be able to put your finger between the edge of the fan blade and face of the radiator - no closer. You see a lot of Studebakers where the spacers have been lost/thrown away and the fans are too far back from the radiator and don't pull much air through the actual radiator. At fast idle, you should be able to put your hand on the front of the radiator and feel the fan drawing the air through. Good luck.

Comment

I took a universal aluminum spacer to a machine shop had him cut it down to size and match the stude water pump.

Comment

Working...
        X