Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The last stude out of c and b (not for purists)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last stude out of c and b (not for purists)

I Haven't been on this site for over a year due to the constant "bushwacking" from the purists who frequent this site. I decided to shift to Studebaker addicts only to find that they dwell there also, so I managed my disappointment in other areas in order to complete my "Holy Grail" reconstruction. I hope that it leaves quite of bit of salt in the wound for the purists who are constantly belittling us customizers . Yes that's right, I took one of your coveted pieces and made it drive able... daily, and I hope ya'll don't like it. With that, I would like to personally thank everyone who helped bring this back on the road and into view. Deepnhock Jeff Rice who actually found the truck for me and has been more than gracious with his time,Tom Lewis, Richard Gentry, Studebaker International, and anyone else who I have forgotten. I owe a lot to Bob Peterson whose veins flow nothing but Studebaker blood. Bob is the most dedicated Studebaker person I have ever met and he helped immensely with making my dream come true. All of us will miss his business supplying great cars and parts. Even though he has shut down his shop, a lot of precious parts made it to his house...some he couldn't bear to give up. I look forward to attending all the Studebaker functions with this vehicle and "proudly" displaying it for others to see, I'm quite proud of the fact that I did all myself @ 67 years old, welding, bodywork, fabrication, painting, wiring--- all of it. The "Coupex" is LT1 powered with a built 4L60E electronic overdrive, 12 bolt Chevy rear, Fatman front end with polished tubular a arms, 4 link rear with coil overs, vintage heat and A/C, power windows, tilt. This isn't your Grandpa's Studebaker, this truck drives like a new Cadillac and runs like a corvette. Thanks to everyone in the Studebaker World for your help---enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0456.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1757988Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0459 (1).jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1757989Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0461.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1757990
    Last edited by StudebakerGene; 06-05-2018, 09:26 AM.
    sigpic

Beautiful job Gene.

Comment

Robert, I must admit to being a purist when it comes to these vehicles. That said, I think you have done an absolutely marvelous job on this truck and you should be proud of it. I would drive it in a heartbeat. Your truck is still quite recognizable and the work underneath does not detract from the gorgeous lines of the original Coupe Express. I hope I get to see it sometime. Will be be attending the International meet in Tacoma?
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Beautiful work.

FWIW, none of my Studes ever stayed original for very long. If I could comfortably fit in a CE, I'd be driving one similar to yours.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Commander Eddie, my intent was to not distract from the original body lines other than some subtle changes i,e. 33 ford bumpers, 37 Chrysler tail lights with 50 Pontiac inerds, Rally wheels and trim. I wanted it to be a Studebaker and it is just that. It doesn't know there's a small block Chevy under it, it just wants to get out and run.
          sigpic

Comment

That is a fine looking truck. I would love to see some close up pictures of the mounting bracket for your sun visor. I am trying to fit an after market sun visor on my Dad's starlight coupe and I am looking for ideas on how to make the side brackets.
            Wayne
            "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

Jack if you are in Tacoma you should try and sit in it, I put a special seat from D&D concepts in it and it has way more room remarkably. I also have the ability to lower it 3 more inches or so for you tall guys, I was amazed at how comfortable it is now for me @ 5'-10", thanks for the nice comment!
              sigpic

Comment

Wdills, the visor side and middle support pieces are welded to the truck, this one doesn't vibrate at all. Some people probably wouldn't do that because if you decided to take it off it looks like an angry bull with horns but I drive this truck fast---very fast and I didn't want to be listening to it howling and moving around, it does none of that
                sigpic

Comment

Awesome but there's an issue, way to few pictures. Congrats on one beautiful vehicle.

Bob

Comment

In a word: Slick. 'Way cool; nice job. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I also put cars back together the way they came from the factory, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate projects like yours. It is a great piece of art. And being able to drive it anytime/anywhere is a plus. I would like to have the skills to do that.
                      Perry
                      \'50 Business Champion
                      \'50 Starlight Champion
                      \'60 Lark Convertible,
                      \'63 GT R1,
                      \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        Awesome but there's an issue, way to few pictures. Congrats on one beautiful vehicle.

Bob
                        Bob, I will post finished pictures when I get through wet sanding and buffing---uuuggghhh. I have spent the last year and a half every Saturday,every Sunday, all my vacation time bringing this back to life. The last 2 weeks were 16 hour days to finish and get out of Bob's shop. I used the 33 ford bumpers because i felt the originals kind of cut that beautiful grille into. I like the ways it accents it. all the body panels were media blasted and epoxy primed and painted and "Raptor" lined. I sprayed the bed with Raptor liner as well except color tinted, I'm gonna use that bed--- alot. Howdy Ledbetter is going to sew the interior with red leather from top to bottom, it's going to be a good driver! everyday

Name:	KIMG0437.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1720960Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0426.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1720962Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0435.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1720961
                        Last edited by StudebakerGene; 06-05-2018, 10:16 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Absolutely gorgeous ! I probably will not be able to own one of these, but rest assured, I would not leave it stock...drivers are good !!! My 1st change would be the little square back window, but haven't decided for sure what the replacement would be from. Congratulations StudebakerGene, you "done good" !!!

Comment

I don't think anyone complained much about this one, almost identical:

Name:	37 Coupe Express2.jpg
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1720963 Click image for larger version

Name:	37 Coupe Express.jpg
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1720964 It really IS about whether or not you destroy a Rare and Valuable excellent condition, Original, antique or a Smashed, Rusted Junkyard piece.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Very nice work and it turned out beautiful. I like Jeff Rices as it is so yours should be exciting to see and drive too. I hope to see it at a meet somewhere here in the S.E. zone. Congrats on being 67 and still working at it that hard, I'm 69 and trying to get the last GT Superhawk made put together, and it isn't going to be factory either. Time to work on it is scarce until next year when I finally retire. Enjoy that truck and drive it like you stole it!!!! Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X