Golden Hawk tach sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Golden Hawk tach sender

I got this off of ebay 'cos it looked like the right one for my 57 GH, but after I cleaned it up, and replaced the brittle wire, I found out it must not be the right one...doesn't fit, and I'm pretty sure I have the original distributor

Any idea what this one might be for?
    Attached Files
    Gallivan
    57 Golden Hawk
    Golden, CO

There are Delco and Autolite versions. The '56J used the Autolite and IIRC, the '57-61 Stude engines used the Delco, which is larger in diameter. Is yours too large or too small?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

That does not look like a 56J tach sender. So there's no telling what it may be for. Maybe put it back on ebay. LOL

Comment

1955 Speedsters used them, but it doesn't look right for that either. Was the head unit a sourced Borg Warner item like the rest or the gauges? If so, maybe you could find out what other cars used it.

Comment

Hi Gallivan,
          here you see the 56J sender : Restorers guide /56J Only

Is it yours? Please give me a pn

Thanks
          Last edited by Santosh; 05-27-2018, 11:15 AM.
          Walter

80 Fiat Spider
          63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
          60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
          56 Golden Hawk
          56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
          68 Volvo P1800S
          56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
            Was the head unit a sourced Borg Warner item like the rest or the gauges? If so, maybe you could find out what other cars used it.
            Stewart-Warner made most Studebaker gauges.

The Synchronous Drive Tachometer was also used in trucks, buses, heavy equipment, stationary equipment, so heads with only 0-3,500 RPM show up occasionally. There were also mechanical drives for diesel and other applications without a distributor.

The '55 Speedster was a 6V as were some other early users. From '56-61, they were 12V.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

I was hoping it would be for the 56J, but don't think it is...it looks like the diameter of the shaft on the tiop is bigger than mine, and the hole inside doesn't have the flat area shown in this video
              Thanks for sharing the video!
              Gallivan
              57 Golden Hawk
              Golden, CO

Comment

Working...
              X