6 cyl vs V8 lark rear gearing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 cyl vs V8 lark rear gearing.

What was the rear end gears for a V8 lark vs a inline 6.

1960 model.

Obviously it would make a Huge difference if we are talking Overdrive or Std. Manual and Automatic. The Latter are both one to one in 3rd. but Overdrive is not.

The lower Power Six does require a much Lower (Higher Numerical) Ratio than a V8.
    Most Eights are 3.07 or 3.31, and Sixes 3.73 with Direct Drive.
    Probably 4.10 on a Six Overdrive and 3.73 on a V8.

It is Easy to check one, the Metal Tag with the Ring & Pinion Tooth count or actual Ratio is under a Screw on the Diff. Cover at 8:00.

I assume you know that 289 V8's and V8 Wagons have stronger Differentials, Dana Model 44 vs Model 23 or 27 in most Sixes and 259's.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In April 1960 Studebaker issued a Service Bulletin (354) that explained the various rear axle ratios available at that time:

(Sorry, I've tried to make these larger but it doesn't work. I can email them to you if interested send a PM).

Click image for larger version

Name:	RA1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	1720811 Click image for larger version

Name:	RA2.jpg
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	1720812 Click image for larger version

Name:	RA3.jpg
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1720813
      Last edited by dpson; 05-26-2018, 05:01 AM.
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

I had a real learning experience on this subject when we got our Lark. It gave meaning to the expression "ridden hard and put away wet". As you can see below, it is a VI with overdrive and three speed transmission. For some reason it had a 3.07 differential. It could barely make it over a speed bump. I purchased a 4.27 from Newman and Altman (this was in 2001). The difference was amazing. The car has a 185 cu.in. engine. With that combination, it is a good highway car.
        Perry
        \'50 Business Champion
        \'50 Starlight Champion
        \'60 Lark Convertible,
        \'63 GT R1,
        \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Originally posted by fpstude View Post
          I had a real learning experience on this subject when we got our Lark. It gave meaning to the expression "ridden hard and put away wet". As you can see below, it is a VI with overdrive and three speed transmission. For some reason it had a 3.07 differential. It could barely make it over a speed bump. I purchased a 4.27 from Newman and Altman (this was in 2001). The difference was amazing. The car has a 185 cu.in. engine. With that combination, it is a good highway car.
          Perry, that's exactly the rear axle I ended up with in my '64 Commander with OHV six and 3 speed/OD. Tried (IIRC) a 3.73:1 and it wasn't quite low enough, and a Studebaker buddy of mine suggested a 4.27:1 ratio. Like you, I got a NOS axle from Newman & Altman (dirt cheap) and it's great.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I used to have a '61 Lark VI 2 Door Wagon with a Std. 3 Speed Manual Trans.
            The former (Original) owner had pulled a small camping trailer with it, so he had changed the Rear Axle from 3.73 to 4.10, and it REALLY DID Scoot with that "Long Ram Induction Intake", 118 H.P. OHV 170 Six!
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well both are three on the tree.
              Ii just picked up a parts wagon. And it has a V8. I don't know if it has overdrive in it.
              I was just wondering if it will have a better rear end gears for my intended use.
              I guess I'll have to check it out tomorrow when I get it home.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180527_130844067_HDR.jpg
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	1720836

I didn't get to check it out, but I did get a picture of the parts wagon

Comment

The '60 Lark VIII, 4 Door Wagon is going to have the H.D. Model 44 Axle in it, if still original.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    The '60 Lark VIII, 4 Door Wagon is going to have the H.D. Model 44 Axle in it, if still original.
                    Yep the whole car is original, even the paint color. Supposedly.
                    Now to figure out what that v8 it is.... Sorry I am trying to learn as much as I can. But I'm s a noob to this studebaker stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Even with the VI, would a wagon still have a Dana 44 - all that hard work and such?

Comment

My '60 Convertible that I no longer own was originally a 6 cylinder car with a 4:56 rear axle. A previous owner converted the car to a 259 V-8 but kept the same rear end in it. The car had a 3 spd with OD and it was a nice drivetrain combination.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                          Even with the VI, would a wagon still have a Dana 44 - all that hard work and such?
                          Nope, sorry no Model 44 unless it is a Commercial use; Police Car, Taxi or H.D. Sedan/Wagon.

However, we ARE talking about 1959 and newer here, not '51 to '58's where all V8's had them.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                          X