Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who on the Forum can give me a value on a '63 GT Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who on the Forum can give me a value on a '63 GT Hawk?

A friend of mine needs to find the value of a '63 GT Hawk. Here is what I know. 289 , four speed, black exterior, black interior. I told it is a 95 to 100 point car, having had a rather extensive and expensive restoration. Yes, very little information, and possibly I can get more. But in the mean time , based on what I've listed...........what is a ball park figure assuming everything I say is correct?
    The owner died and his wife is trying to decide if she should sell it ( not knowing what it is really worth ) or give it to one of the children. Thus she needs to know a value.
    Thanks
    John

An official "Appraisal" or physical inspection by an SDC Member may be required to even get a good ball park number on a "Specialty Car" in a varying market.

Many times the only sure way is to list it on Auction in the World Wide Market with a high reserve on eBay to find the value.

Any idea of the restoration cost?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The family situation is the wrinkle in paint. It depends on which child really wants the car because of the dad connection or is looking to sell it for what money is wanted. If the child really wants the car for the dad connection, I would have the widow stipulate that the car if sold in 5 years the money would revert to the widow.

95-100 may have been several years ago. If the car has not been driven (sounds possible) in some time, certain things will have to be taken in to account to get it running again. Stored inside or outside? Gas, brakes, are a couple that come to mind.

There must be someone locally with SDC that would be willing to help and view and give an accurate and valid view of the car.

Best of luck.

Bob Miles
      Different by Design.
      Different by Delight!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        An official "Appraisal" or physical inspection by an SDC Member may be required to even get a good ball park number on a "Specialty Car" in a varying market.

Many times the only sure way is to list it on Auction in the World Wide Market with a high reserve on eBay to find the value.

Any idea of the restoration cost?
        Rich.....I sent you a PM

Comment

Hagerty App, easy to use.
          Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
          Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Why not contact Joe Hall here, through the forum? He lives in your area and could check out the car, which really needs to be done for anything to be reasonably accurate. His forum name is JoeHall; no space between Joe and Hall. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

There are a couple on ebay now. One has a starting bid of $9500 with no takers so far and less than 3 days left. The other has been bid up to $7300 with less than 2 days left. You could compare yours to those and get an idea of what yours might bring.
              78 Avanti RQB 2792
              64 Avanti R1 R5408
              63 Avanti R1 R4551
              63 Avanti R1 R2281
              62 GT Hawk V15949
              56 GH 6032504
              56 GH 6032588
              55 Speedster 7160047
              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

You can also search ebay for "sold items" to see which ones were successful. That is how I determine prices on ebay.

Comment

Hagerty.com has a valuation tool (if you don't have the app)

Current Values

• #1 Concours $39,100
                    Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."
                  • #2 Excellent $29,600
                    #2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."

• #3 Good $16,400
                    #3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.

• #4 Fair $11,000
                    #4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.

Value Adjustments

+15% for factory 4-spd.
                  Carey
                  Packard Hawk

Comment

My guesstimate, based on your description and my assumption that it will need some work due to lack of use, is $9000.
                    Of course this is a rough estimate without seeing the car or even good pictures of it.
                    Last edited by studegary; 05-25-2018, 03:54 PM. Reason: missing d
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Why not contact Joe Hall here, through the forum? He lives in your area and could check out the car, which really needs to be done for anything to be reasonably accurate. His forum name is JoeHall; no space between Joe and Hall. BP
                      Bob, good thought and Thank you for that. I know Joe and he came to mind, unfortunately the car is not in Kentucky, it is in Atlanta.

Comment

value

I can tell you within $10,000 of its value. I just need one small detail and that is does it run???? Does that help you?

Comment

Working...
                        X