Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end hold up?

dear Studebaker community,
    I was wanting your opinion on a 1951 dana 27 rear end strength.
    I will run about 250hp on my 51 champion and was wondering if you think the rear end will hold up?
    also, anyone ever used a S-10 rear end in a 51 or later Studebaker? its the closest fit to the original 54" width.
    thanks for your kind helping!

I’m not sure about 51 but check to see if the diff housing is centered in the axle. I believe the s10 has an offset to it.

Comment

ok, will do that! I think the 2wd s-10 rear-end is centered, the 4x4 probably not, but good point! did not consider that! thanks

ps: I just checked, driver side is 24.375 inch and passenger side is 24.50 inch! close enough I guess!

Comment

Mitch, 250 hp? At the flywheel or tires? You pumping 20 lbs of turbo into that 6? If you are not an animal on the start, the stock rear end would run trouble free for years. That rear is probably as strong as the S10, except at the axle outer ends. Watch out for big brakes. After swapping rears and leaving those stock front drums the rears will lock up first and that is a thrill ride.

Comment

If your 51 rear end is stock, I believe you will find it is a Dana 23. The S-10 rear works well in a 51. That is what my 52 has. The only negative is the different bolt pattern.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

A common modification is the Ranger or Explorer rear end. Read that the 4 wheel drive rear , that is offset, can be cut down using another short axle and be the right width. Advantage is that the later ones have disc brakes and the bolt pattern is the same as Studebaker.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

great news! I have 11" brakes on the front! not blowing the 6L up, just using the engine in my garage that I had no place to go until now..... thanks so much for the advice!

Comment

right, yeah, would definitely change the bolt pattern to 4.5 for sure! dana 27 is original if I'm not mistaking in a 51?????

Comment

true! good point! thats a great idea! still, changing the bolt pattern in a s-10 rear-end is a 90$ job, shortening an axle and finding a second short explorer axle seams more involved.... but a great option for sure! well thought out, thanks!

Comment

My nephew does the shortened explorer axles and he picks them up at the junk yards with the extra axle for under $300. But said they are getting harder to find as all the hot rodder's like them. Nice thing is posi,and disc brakes ,and easy parts to buy. That's about as cheap as doing a brake job on the rear of a stude.

Comment

Studebaker used Canadian GM engines in 65-66. If you put a small block Chevy in this car, you could get the 65-66 motor mount system and not have to weld in new motor mounts. That way, it could be changed back at a later date with no trace of the alteration.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by mitch.oliver71 View Post
                        right, yeah, would definitely change the bolt pattern to 4.5 for sure! dana 27 is original if I'm not mistaking in a 51?????
                        I am using Wheel Vintique wheels with both the 4.5 and 4.75 patterns. Check the numbers on the diff case.
                        Attached Files
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                          I am using Wheel Vintique wheels with both the 4.5 and 4.75 patterns. Check the numbers on the diff case.
                          yeah, that works! like to use the original rims..... my machine shops gets it done for under a 100$ so I guess its well worth the re-pattern drilling

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                            Studebaker used Canadian GM engines in 65-66. If you put a small block Chevy in this car, you could get the 65-66 motor mount system and not have to weld in new motor mounts. That way, it could be changed back at a later date with no trace of the alteration.
                            great! on the ordering list!!!!

Comment

A friend may have a 44 posi or non posi available if you are interested. Here in Lafayette In.
                              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                              X