No announcement yet.

Temp gauge vs overheating...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Temp gauge vs overheating...

2 years ago my "brand-x"(MoPar) engine overheated badly & time running as fast as usual + the rest of life coming between so now I don't remember if the gauge was alive after the overheating...
    (& for those who don't know Josephine is a -55 with -64 gauges because of 12v system.)

So now I wonder if anyone knows how high temperature the gauge can take? The engine did run DRY! & was leaking oil big-time badly from under the inlet manifold.

& here's for those who's been wondering/never understod how temp & also gas meters works elecrical, I've had it badly explained many times but just now I got a GOOD explination at last:
    The meter gets + from the egnition key & gives it to the feeler/sender who connects it to - / ground.
    So to check if the sender is fault you check the wire coming from the gauge & if no + comes from there (as in my case) the gauge is faulty or the wire is broken on its way. But if you do get + from that wire then ofcourse the sender on the engine is broken.

Anyway, back to reality: could a gauge get burned?

59 looks & all these answers, loads of knowlage!
    Just kidin'... got up behind the dashboard & found out it IS the gauge, not just the cable.
    & still not one single person who knows how much a temp gauge can stand?

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
      59 looks & all these answers, loads of knowlage!
      Just kidin'... got up behind the dashboard & found out it IS the gauge, not just the cable.
      & still not one single person who knows how much a temp gauge can stand?
      Well....I'll give you an answer, you decide if you like it.

For an electric gauge, there is no temperature short of totally destroying the engine which will damage the gauge. It's certainly safe to 250F and then some. However the gauge can fail from age or abuse or corrosion unrelated to engine temperature.

How old is the gauge anyway, and how long did you expect it to last? More than a half century?

Comment

I agree with Jnormanh. I have seen more than one engine overheated to the point of seizing up with no lasting effect on the temperature gauge (or the sending unit either).
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

If I like the answer? Sure, no problem. & if you've read my 1:st post the year of the gauge is right there.
          Thanx for answers, over & out!

Comment

Working...
          X