I Need Parts for a 1965 Automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: I Need Parts for a 1965 Automatic

I'm looking for the parts needed to connect a flight-o-matic transmission to a Chevy engine. This is a 1965 Cruiser that was originally a 283 with an automatic. I got the car without an engine or transmission, but I have a 283 and an automatic out of a 1964 Cruiser. So I assume I need at least a torque converter housing. If you know the parts I need and/or if you have the parts let me know.

Thanks,
    Joe
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

Are you wanting to restore this car to original or make a nice driver?
    If making a nice driver, bolt a GM AOD behind the 283 and drive away. Lots of people putting those trans behind the Studebaker engines using a pricey adapter and you can do it without adapting anything. Might need to have a driveshaft made or one shortened, but that's pretty easy.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I've done AOD conversions before, this car has 3.07 gears so I don't need overdrive and I have a flight-o-matic transmission I would like to use.

Thanks,
      Joe
      sigpic

1962 Daytona
      1964 Cruiser
      And a few others

Comment

How about just using a Turbo 350 and at least having the low gear take off?
        Originally posted by irish View Post
        I've done AOD conversions before, this car has 3.07 gears so I don't need overdrive and I have a flight-o-matic transmission I would like to use.

Thanks,
        Joe
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Did you mean a 289 out of a 1964 Cruiser or a 283 out of a 1965/66 Cruiser

Comment

I have a Flightomatic that was used behind a 283, and the engine it came behind. So I should have all the parts you need. Flightomatics for 283's used a cable-operated throttle valve, and I believe they all also had water cooling.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks Gord for the information. I didn't realize the transmission on a 65-66 was different than the one's used on a 64. I wonder if I could still use the 1964 transmission. Otherwise I may just use a TH350 automatic.
              sigpic

1962 Daytona
              1964 Cruiser
              And a few others

Comment

I have a 65 Daytona that someone changed the transmission to a TH 350 before I purchased it. Works great and the only negative thing I notice is the shifter quadrant does not match the order of the gears in the GM transmission.

Comment

I seem to remember that 60's Jeeps had the same shift indicator bezel but the lens inside contained the now common PRND2L. I've looked for it on some Jeep vendors site hoping that someone had made some repro's but so far come up empty.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                  X