R2 Block Colors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 Block Colors?

I have seen a number of R2 engines over the years, all had different colors on the blocks. The only thing they had in common was the Damp proof red primer inside the block. What color did they come with from the factory?

glyptal was used by a lot of companies (an old method , material is expensive) to seal the inside surface of iron castings to ensure smooth flow of oil and to ensure no loose sand or grit in the casting can contaminate the oil. Westinghouse used it in side bearing and gearbox housing for more than forty years I know of. All Studebaker motors I have had apart were coated inside with what appeared to be the same material. Also used as a coating for motor and generator coils on large electrical equipment heavy industry motor and generators

Comment

Aside from the the inside colors of the engine, 289 and 259 engines, from about 1958 and newer, including R1 and R2, had blocks and cylinder heads painted black. Most external parts were also painted black, including the oil pan, breather tube, intake, water manifold and pulleys, starter, fuel pump and distributor housing, bellhousing and transmission.
      Lew Schucart
      Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by lschuc View Post
        Aside from the the inside colors of the engine, 289 and 259 engines, from about 1958 and newer, including R1 and R2, had blocks and cylinder heads painted black. Most external parts were also painted black, including the oil pan, breather tube, intake, water manifold and pulleys, starter, fuel pump and distributor housing, bellhousing and transmission.
        1958 through 1961 blocks and related parts were painted aluminum. 1962 and later were black.

Comment

An R2 Block in the making. Black with Glyptal coating.

This R2 block was Red, however, it was bored 0.060 over so, it most likely was repainted.

Last edited by SScopelli; 05-09-2018, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Just plain 'Ol BLACK like all '62 to '66 Stude. Complete Engines were, with the exception of the R3 and R4's.

Since they were Painted Complete, ALL the Major Parts Fan to Trans. Tail that were installed, were Engine Color due to the Method used.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 05-09-2018, 10:45 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've seen many R series engines with chrome valley pans, some with painted. Were they able to change them out for chrome after painting without removing the intake, or was the intake painted seperately and added later? Removing the rocker covers to install the chrome ones would be easy. Is there a reason some valley pans are chrome and some are not, is either correct?
              Last edited by bensherb; 05-10-2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Early Avantis had chrome, later were painted black. I will check to see when.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Some people have actually found their original Lifter Cover had Black Engine enamel OVER Chrome!

Presumably, that was after the change to painted, and some of the left over Chrome ones got painted.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have both the original R1 engine that came out of my 63 Avanti, which is painted black, and an R2 that came out of a wrecked Avanti that is painted red. The R2 engine was bought in 1967 and was red when I bought it. Both engines have the chrome valley cover.

Comment

Originally posted by lark55 View Post
                      I have both the original R1 engine that came out of my 63 Avanti, which is painted black, and an R2 that came out of a wrecked Avanti that is painted red. The R2 engine was bought in 1967 and was red when I bought it. Both engines have the chrome valley cover.
                      Non Black Engines like this were not that way from the Factory, just a rebuild. overhaul Valve Grind etc.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It was a matter of cost savings, chrome was cut back towards the end of production....just like the carpet choices
                        Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                        I've seen many R series engines with chrome valley pans, some with painted. Were they able to change them out for chrome after painting without removing the intake, or was the intake painted seperately and added later? Removing the rocker covers to install the chrome ones would be easy. Is there a reason some valley pans are chrome and some are not, is either correct?

Comment

As I remember the wrecked Avanti had about 44,000 miles on it. I don't think it was rebuilt, but who knows? I have never opened it up to see.

Comment

Do not think I would dare to paint anything on the inside of the block; I'd have nighmares about the stuff flaking off. The block is pretty shiney black

Comment

I used Glyptal when I rebuilt the 289 for my Hawk. I did consider the fact that it could come loose, but that is what it is designed for. The factory must have used it, or something similar, and it was still in there. It's still available.https://www.eastwood.com/glyptal-red-enamel.html
                              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Working...
                              X