Change from Lever Arm to Gas Shocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change from Lever Arm to Gas Shocks?

I will start by saying that my 50 Commander is NOT stock...

Is there any reason to NOT change the rear shocks from the original hydraulic (AKA oil filled) lever arm dampeners to gas shocks?
    According to the server manual the oil dampeners need checked every 5000 miles. Who is doing that???
    DT Holder - Bakersfield CA, USA
    1950 Commander ("Resto-Mod" in progress)

The original lever arm shocks were pretty robust and you're right, I know of no one who checks them anywhere near that often. I had a '50 Commander not long ago and the original shocks were fine. No leaks and still operated as they should. I believe they were original based on the abundance of service receipts that came with the car going nearly all the way back to new. That being said, it is your decision whether to replace them or not. The condition of yours may be different.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The condition of mine are suspect. I have them off the car now and have drained the fluid from both. I would guess about 1 ounce, from both, came out....
      The current plan is to clean them (done), paint them (done) fill and work the arms to see if they "stiffen" and reinstall. Periodic checks will be done. IF they leak or seem to otherwise fail I am considering changing over.

I have change the front shocks to gas and it seems to be going well.

Comment

Were the original lever action shocks filled with glycerin?
        If so, I'd drain and fill them with hydraulic oil.

Comment

Very little come out and it was not exactly smooth...
          Refilled with Fork Oil (forgot where the reference came from) There was a bit of grinding which smoothed out once I worked the shock. My plan is to run these for a while then remove and check. I am sure the next time I take them off will be MUCH easier than this time.

Comment

I have change the front shocks to gas and it seems to be going well.[/QUOTE]

I have a ‘50 Land Cruiser. How did you do this and what shocks specifically (year/make/model? Part #?) did you use?
            1950 Commander Land Cruiser
            1951 Champion Business Coupe
            1951 Commander Starlight
            1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
            1953 Champion Starlight
            1953 Commander Starliner
            1953 2R5
            1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
            1957 Silver Hawk
            1957 3E5 Pick-Up
            1959 Silver Hawk
            1961 Hawk
            1962 Cruiser 4 speed
            1963 Daytona Convertible
            1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
            1965 Cruiser
            1970 Avanti

Comment

I purchased a set of KYB model 343137 from O'Reillys auto. You also will need the 50 Champion lower shock mounts which bolt in with no problem.

I added a more detailed explanation at: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...95#post1109295
              Last edited by DTHolder; 05-10-2018, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X